Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #1

Share |

Firing a contractor

I need some advice. I just fired a contractor. He was a disgrace for the construction industry.
He was supposed to finish a bathroom by April 11th, it's the end of May and he still hasn't pass electrical inspections (failed twice).
Today I kicked him out of the house.

I know he's gonna put a lien on the house, and try to collect the rest of the money. It's not much money I owe him anyway, but does anybody how's the procedure to get another contractor working on the house??

I'm checking with my lawer later today, but I think we need to document the status of his work, and then I'll need another contractor to pull new permits and everything, right?

Anybody has any experience with bad contractors and how to cancel their contracts? I'm in NJ by the way.

Thanks for any help.

Gonza552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Firing a contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonza552 View Post
I need some advice. I just fired a contractor. He was a disgrace for the construction industry.
He was supposed to finish a bathroom by April 11th, it's the end of May and he still hasn't pass electrical inspections (failed twice).
Today I kicked him out of the house.

I know he's gonna put a lien on the house, and try to collect the rest of the money. It's not much money I owe him anyway, but does anybody how's the procedure to get another contractor working on the house??

I'm checking with my lawer later today, but I think we need to document the status of his work, and then I'll need another contractor to pull new permits and everything, right?

Anybody has any experience with bad contractors and how to cancel their contracts? I'm in NJ by the way.

Thanks for any help.
All of these questions should be brought to your attorney for proper legal answers and advice. DO NOT rely on the answers found here to educate you, or guide you, as to what you need to do in order to win an inevitable court case. These things can be sticky. There are proper procedures that you will need to follow. Some do's and don't's....again... confer with your LOCAL attorney....especially because laws will vary state to state.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Firing a contractor

If he has most of the money already, and is a month and a half behind schedule, I doubt he will lien your house or sue you. He is probably relieved to be out of there. Sounds pretty clear he was over his head and probably losing money.
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote