Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fireplace refacing

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes. I need to reface a fireplace that was ripped out by a shady contractor that has since been fired. What I am left with is a brick wall with a firebox and cement slab (hearth) infront for a base for the raised hearth. The wall is not smooth and needs to be for the cultured stone to be installed. Not exactly the worste of it. The fire box measures 37 wide by 31 high with the steel lintle exposed at the top. The problem I have is I'm not sure what to use to flush the wall and bring the HIEGHT of the box down so the wood burning inserts surround that i am installing covers the box. The box was not originally this high, but i was not present for the demo so I'm not sure what was used the first time. Durarock was suggested. But i cant see extending the rock down past the lintle and then installing the stone on it. That would leave about 3 -4 inches of the durarock as the backing for the stone at the top of the box. Maybe I am wrong in my thinking but was hoping to get some info from someone who knows. Thanks.

Last edited by archer292; 01-04-2008 at 04:03 PM.
archer292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

fireplace refacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer292 View Post
... The wall is not smoothe and needs to be for the cultured stone to be installed....Thanks.
How much is the wall off?

Can you post a photo?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

fireplace refacing

Smoothe without the e. Camera is charging. Not horrible. The brick that is showing is studded on both sides with 1/2 inch sheetrock up to the brick. If you took a straight edge and ran it east to west on top of the sheetrock and moved the straight edge North to South you would not touch a brick. You would get as close as 1/16 and as far as an 1 1/2 inches.
archer292 is offline   Reply With Quote