Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fire pit problem

Hello,

I have a problem with my DIY propane firepit. It is at ground level, with the pan approximately 4" off a gravel base. When testing, it burns wonderfully. When I then fill the V-shaped pan with base rock to the opeenings, then cover in a thin layer of glass, I get burn from under the pan. I've checked for leaks and can't find any. Should I fill in the area under the pan to prevent gas accumulation?

Thanks

Flyover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fire pit problem

Welcome flyover, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

A picture of your fire pit would be helpful, if read your description correctly you are covering the top with glass? If so, the flames have to get oxygen from somewhere and the bottom seems to be the likely place, hence the fire out the bottom.

Mark

Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #3

Fire pit problem

It's only an inch or so covered. In most firepits I've seen, this looks about average. Would filling the space below the pan with gravel solve this you think?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fire pit problem

Again flyover, a picture is worth a thousand words, not sure what you mean by covered only by an inch, an inch thick, an inch of the center, an inch of the parimeter?

A question for you as well, is the glass going to be subjected to heat and if so is it tempered glass, if not it will undoubtedly crack.

Mark
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Fire pit problem

Fire pit glass. Small tempered pieces of glass that is often used to cover fore pits for aesthetic reasons. Post should have read "less then an an inch thick". Sorry working now so can't send a pic.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Fire pit problem

Thread revival! I'm experiencing the same issue and havent seen a clear answer on this... I have a 24" diameter brick fire ring with 18" propane burner set in a 23" burner pan. small rocks (not gravel size) surround the burner in the pan and 1" of fire glass sits above on metal mesh screen. Propane accumulated (it seemed) on the bottom and quickly flared out from under the ring.

There is one vent between the bricks, below the pan. Should I add another for more air flow? Would my fully open air mixer under the pan be to blame? No leaks in the line by the way.

Thanks!!!
dudebro311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #7

Fire pit problem

That's what finally solved my problem. I made sure I had good air flow to the venturi valve and voila-- problem solved.