Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

Finishing basement - Should I add a 1/2 bath?

So I am finally finishing my basement, half the basement will be home theater / bonus room. My wife thinks its a play room for our future kids... I think its going to be a playroom for future Dad (me!) The other half is unfinished, laundry room / storage.

My question is, should I go to the trouble of installing a 1/2 bath? The basement will become a spare room with a pull out couch for any guests as future kids will fill the remaining bedrooms upstairs and it would be nice to not have to go upstairs if your watching a movie or kids are playing down stairs.

On the flip side, its going to be a lot of work and I will be doing it myself (on a budget). It will be installed near / under the main stack but I need to jack up the concrete for new drain, vent pipe, exhaust fan through the joists and all the added expenses of fixtures in general. I think it will add 20% -30% to the total cost of the basement.

Is it worth it?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

House has 1 full bath on second floor and a 1/2 bath on first floor. Full bath in basement is out of the question. No room in the floor plan.

Thank you for your opinion.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Absolutely make a bathroom... but don't stop there.
Find room for a shower too.

With a neo-angle shower (36") in a corner...
another 27"-30" on each side of that does it nicely.
36+30 =66" inside area. Find the space

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

I agree with Tarheel find the room for a shower. Only one full bath for two adults, future kids and sometime house guests makes for too much togetherness.
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

your loosen ground jc I also agree make the room for a full bath...better yet ask your wife what she thinks of having another full bath....good luck on that one
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Your Facilities Guy!

The ROI with installing a 1/2 bath is huge. A full bath is also great selling point in future. Do it now or you will be kicking yourself in the butt for a long..long...time.
Donnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #7

If you can not afford it now, do what rough in you have to and cap it. Then finish it later. (And another vote for a shower or even a tub)
Maybe post pictures/drawings and we could help you find the space.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Like Mae says above, put the rough-in for a full bath even if you don't fully finish it. If you ever want/need to sell, the payback will be pretty substantial cause you've already done all the hard stuff.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAHILL4 View Post
House has 1 full bath on second floor and a 1/2 bath on first floor. Full bath in basement is out of the question. No room in the floor plan.

Thank you for your opinion.
I agree fully with what others have said. Include the bathroom, and make sure there's at least a shower in it.

I went through this same decision in the first house my wife & I renovated. Broke out the floor, plumbed in toilet, shower, etc. It was a big pain in the rear and a lot of work, but it turned out to be well worth it. Two bedrooms & a family room in the basement, with no bathroom, was out of the question. We also doubled our money when we sold the house.

Well worth it.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote