Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

Finishing a basement

I am in the process of finishing a basement and I have an I-beam supporting the garage floor above. The I-beam has one support and of course, it is in the center of the room. The I-beam is 20 feet long and rests on notches in a poured concrete foundation. Can I move the beam out of the center of the room and place floor jacks 3'-4' off of each wall for a max span of 12'-14' in the center? This will make for a roomier finished basement. What is the maximum span and what is the proper way to determine capacity for my beam? The only weight above is a 2 car garage, no inhabited house structure, but I don't want to park my cars in the basement if you know what I mean. Thank you.

Last edited by orbitking; 01-17-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add picture
orbitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Finishing a basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitking View Post
I am in the process of finishing a basement and I have an I-beam supporting the garage floor above. The I-beam has one support and of course, it is in the center of the room. The I-beam is 20 feet long and rests on notches in a poured concrete foundation. Can I move the beam out of the center of the room and place floor jacks 3'-4' off of each wall for a max span of 12'-14' in the center? This will make for a roomier finished basement. What is the maximum span and what is the proper way to determine capacity for my beam? The only weight above is a 2 car garage, no inhabited house structure, but I don't want to park my cars in the basement if you know what I mean. Thank you.
When was your Homeowner's Insurance last paid?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Finishing a basement

Quote:
...The only weight above is a 2 car garage...
Oh, is that all?

Don't forget your: several tons of automobiles/trucks, re-inforced concrete, your live-load when people are present in the garage, dead load of the structure and anything else stored in the area, snow load (if in such a region) ...

That beam cannot be moved. It is part of the overall structure and is integral in it's support.

Looks like you might want to try and incorporate it into your designs.

Other than that, your other options are to:

a.) Sell your home and buy a new house with a basement that works for your needs.
b.) Tear down the entire garage, including the reinforced concrete floor, and rebuild it to accomodate a roomier basement.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-18-2008 at 03:55 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Finishing a basement

I personally, would love to see him move a couple of tons of steel without a crane.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #5

Finishing a basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I personally, would love to see him move a couple of tons of steel without a crane.
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard to move.

Tho, it would be only in one direction... DOWN... with the help of everything on top of it.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Finishing a basement

Sort of like this. My Brother in Law used Pre-Stressed Concrete panels for his Garage, so that I-Beams would not have to be used in the basement level.
Attached Thumbnails
Finishing a basement-56463002_9e01427d2b.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #7

Finishing a basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sort of like this. My Brother in Law used Pre-Stressed Concrete panels for his Garage, so that I-Beams would not have to be used in the basement level.
Dang! Who said a picture was worth a thousand words? Looks like you have a credit of 970 words towards your next post.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Finishing a basement

And that is not even my Brother-in-laws basement or Garage, just an example for the OP. The floor panels that where used in my B-I-L's construction are the same that are used in quick-lube places where you do not want beams and posts under the floor. They did put about 4" of concrete on top of the panels after underfloor heating was installed. The total height of his is something like 8-10" and can hold a Dually.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #9

Finishing a basement

It is not the entire beam I want to move. I mis-spoke. It is only the support underneath. I have spoken to a structural engineer who stated that it would be possible to get rid of the support pole and put 2 supports closer to the exterior walls, as long as the new span did not exceed the original span of 11 feet. The new floor jacks would have to be placed on a poured footer in order to be supported properly from underneath. Sorry for the misunderstanding on original thread, would love some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Thanks.
orbitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #10

Finishing a basement

Constructively, fire the electrician that ran that conduit. I would wrap the pole and use it as a feature, since any alternative will cost serious money and may become an issue when you sell the home.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
weekend warrior

Finishing a basement

I'm sure it's doable, you can throw money at any problem and make it go away, but you'll have to have an engineer or someone qualified to check it out in person, ya know?

It is a pretty lousy place for a beam, damn gravity...
Is it worth having two beams instead, and possibly having less headroom if they have to strengthen it?
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #12

Finishing a basement

Quote:
It is not the entire beam I want to move. I mis-spoke. It is only the support underneath. I have spoken to a structural engineer who stated that it would be possible to get rid of the support pole and put 2 supports closer to the exterior walls, as long as the new span did not exceed the original span of 11 feet. The new floor jacks would have to be placed on a poured footer in order to be supported properly from underneath. Sorry for the misunderstanding on original thread, would love some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Thanks.
For starters:
Have a structural engineer actually look at it, get a written evaluation and approval on it. Get the spec'd footing dimensions too. Those will require spec information on weight loads.

...Then, pull your permit...cut the concrete out at the designated structurally-required locations (Concrete blade on a skill saw with water sprayer handy), dig the holes, get your ''forms'' inspection, & pour the new footings (per spec dimensions) & install the new concrete filled lalley's on your new footings, etc...

Last: remove old support post and toss accordingly...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-23-2008 at 07:46 AM.