Finding & Cleaning Cat Urine - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Finding & Cleaning Cat Urine

My dad (78-year old widower) let a cat into his house over the winter. Unfortunately, Miss Kitty did some peeing in places other than the litter box, before being expelled this spring.

Dad's house stinks - and stinks badly.

Have any of use used a fluorescent black light to find cat pee? Anything else you've used?

And what's the best stuff to clean it, both on hard surfaces and things like upholstery?

Thanks!

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Urine contains amines, which are basic. A mild acid, such as vinegar (acetic acid), will form acetate salts with the amines, and reduce or eliminate their odor profile.

There will be a residual odor of vinegar for a while, but pro-active ventilation will carry that off.

Malic acid or citric acid are used as food additives and are not volatile. You could just mop everything with a citric acid solution.

You can find his/her favorite areas on your hands and knees...I don't know about black light. Try searching on the Internet for "find cat urine".

Advertisement

Pro Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
My dad (78-year old widower) let a cat into his house over the winter. Unfortunately, Miss Kitty did some peeing in places other than the litter box, before being expelled this spring.

Dad's house stinks - and stinks badly.

Have any of use used a fluorescent black light to find cat pee? Anything else you've used?

And what's the best stuff to clean it, both on hard surfaces and things like upholstery?

Thanks!
I've also heard about using a black light but have never tried. I've found the best thing is to get down on your hands and knees and use your nose (seriously!)
We tried using vinegar and baking soda. The baking soda dried in the carpet and I think there is still a bit of a crusty feel there. And I'm not sure if the vinegar really eliminated the cat pee odor or just covered it up, but the area smelled like vinegar for a long time. I think the best solution if it is carpet, is to replace the carpet. Or wear a clothes pin on your nose. Seriously though, what I learned is sometimes the "cure" is just as bad as the problem.
Good luck!
novicejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,648

There are products made specifically for this problem I have not used them but you might want to give them a try. Probably available at local pet stores.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-02-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #5

To remove cat urine odor you will need an enzyme solution. Walmart sells a product called "Out" which works very well. Pet stores will have something similar.

If it penetrated into the sub-floor, you may need to pull back the carpet and seal with a primer such as BIN by Zinsser, although the "Out" may take care of that odor too, but it would have to soak into the wood.

Good luck

Jeff
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Painter View Post
Urine contains amines, which are basic. A mild acid, such as vinegar (acetic acid), will form acetate salts with the amines, and reduce or eliminate their odor profile.

There will be a residual odor of vinegar for a while, but pro-active ventilation will carry that off.

Malic acid or citric acid are used as food additives and are not volatile. You could just mop everything with a citric acid solution.

You can find his/her favorite areas on your hands and knees...I don't know about black light. Try searching on the Internet for "find cat urine".

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Absolutely a black light works.

It's amazing actually.

Many bodily fluids contain florescent molecules and this is why you will see a urine stain under a black light.

Its really useful for cat urine because some cats will mark by spraying the urine in a sort of shotgun blast pattern.

You will literally see if that is the case.

Check these photos out...

http://www.odordestroyer.com/BlackLightMore.html

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 08-02-2013 at 12:30 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-02-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 780

Vinegar does work. To me it smells just as bad as the cat urine but it dissipates in a day or two. Bless you Dad's heart for taking her in.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bacteria or enzymes that actually chew up the wastes have worked best for me.

This is a fave brand.

You do have to make sure you saturate what you find and not just dampen it. You may need a syringe, like those flavor injectors for roasts, or like come with ink refill kits to penetrate carpet padding if that is an issue.

Cat was probably marking territory so most of your problems should be around perimeters.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll be paying a visit to Ole Daddy O soon - armed with my new black light, white vinegar, and some "Out" if I can find it at WallyWorld.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicejr View Post
I've also heard about using a black light but have never tried. I've found the best thing is to get down on your hands and knees and use your nose (seriously!)
We tried using vinegar and baking soda. The baking soda dried in the carpet and I think there is still a bit of a crusty feel there. And I'm not sure if the vinegar really eliminated the cat pee odor or just covered it up, but the area smelled like vinegar for a long time. I think the best solution if it is carpet, is to replace the carpet. Or wear a clothes pin on your nose. Seriously though, what I learned is sometimes the "cure" is just as bad as the problem.
Good luck!
Just to update this thread... we had to close our cat door at night to keep a random raccoon out of the house (had to keep the door locked at night for about a week). A few weeks later we noticed our house was starting to smell like an abandoned double wide on the wrong side of the tracks, and we discovered that our cat wasn't using the temporary litter box... because she was using the carpet instead! Anyway, I got an LED UV light (made by LED Wholesalers, works great) and it shows the pee stains (at night) just fine, and is much better than using ones nose. You just want to get the strongest light you can (UV flashlights also work for hunting scorpions at night, if you've got any around). We also got several quarts of Natures Miracle Cat Urine Destroyer and it worked wonders. I think it has an enzyme in it that eats up the urea. The enzyme is the critical thing I think. Works a lot better than the homemade vinegar and baking soda solution.

Last edited by novicejr; 01-30-2014 at 11:47 AM.
novicejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #12

To neutralize pet damage and odor completely, you must "re-create the event" by saturating the affected areas with an enzyme solution, then rinse it. This can be difficult without the proper equipment. I would consider hiring a reputable carpet cleaning company that is certified in Odor Control by the IICRC to come fix it for you.
Queefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,622

Let the neighborhood tom cat in and in short order he'll find every spot that needs freshened a little.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Let the neighborhood tom cat in and in short order he'll find every spot that needs freshened a little.
That actually works rather well here. Any cat has to stop and check credentials when they encounter them.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
Mr

Where do you buy Anti-Icky Poo? I am having difficulty finding effective cat urine odor remover for carpets. Suggestions for other effective products would be appreciated...

Advertisement

MikoMcGreg is offline   Reply With Quote