Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #1

Share |

Filling hole in door

I have just purchased a new property which has an internal door with a hole in one side. Can anyone advise if it's ok for me to fill, sand and paint? I'm thinking of renting out eventually and don't want the cost of employing someone to fit a new door for me. It's not wood, I guess woodchip of some sort? Anyhow, I've been to the DIY shop and bought filler already so I'm hoping it's a yes.

Thanks

E
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM   #2

Filling hole in door

It can be fairly hard to get good results. But yes its ok to do. I have stuck a 1/8 thick plywood cut to fit into a hole I had on a hollow core door. glued it on with wood glue with small screws to hold it. once the glue was dry, I removed the screws. I used a skim coat of hardening plaster. Then sanded and primed the door before painting. The repair could be detected threw a different surface finish. But this was not apparent to the casual looker.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:10 AM   #3

Filling hole in door

Thank you very much. I'm sure it's not going to look perfect but luckily it's small and fairly low down...just in the right spot for hanging a scarf on the door handle if need be...Typical girl comment! I will be back for more advice in changing said door handle if I can't figure it out over the weekend. Character building stuff.
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #4

Filling hole in door

You may find the repair doesn't last too long if you use regular plaster repair filler, such as polyfilla, as it doesn't have any flex in it and you know how much abuse a door gets! Wood filler is best as it will move with the door.

Cheers
nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote