Fiberglass Tub/Shower Refinishing - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fiberglass Tub/Shower Refinishing

Wanted to comment that I'm remodeling my bathroom. My house was built in 1985 and has a very nice fiberglass shower/tub. It seems well made with thick walls. I wanted to get a new tub as the old one was faded, had a couple of chips in the floor and was a horrible almond color. A friend at work recommended that I look into having a contractor come and restore the fiberglass shower/tub. I took his advice and had mine refinished.

So far, it looks fabulous. The color I picked was Kohler white, although I could have had upwards of dozens of color choices. With all the new fixtures and drain, my shower looks like new for only around $600.

I can only give a thumbs up to saving close to $1400 and not putting my old tub into the landfill.

Advertisement

sciron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Good to hear. so many people are quick to remove and replace these days. Its nice to hear something other than a horror story about a contractor. There are good ones out there that do quality work at a reasonable price. Most genuinely want to please their customers, that's how their businesses grow.

Advertisement

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCpaint1 For This Useful Post:
sciron (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
Good to hear. so many people are quick to remove and replace these days. Its nice to hear something other than a horror story about a contractor. There are good ones out there that do quality work at a reasonable price. Most genuinely want to please their customers, that's how their businesses grow.

Lol.. well I do have a horror story about the window contractor
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciron View Post
Lol.. well I do have a horror story about the window contractor
They can't all be winners.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

Refinishing is a hire-the-pro project. DIY is great for many things, but it is virtually impossible to do a decent bathtub refinishing job by you. Porcelain, fiberglass, and cast-iron tubs can all be refinished.t prices equal to or greater than refinishing, bathtub liners are not the bargain option. But they are always cheaper than full replacement, and unlike refinishing, you never worry about the finish wearing away.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Typically, you'll get 3-5 years out of this project.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Typically, you'll get 3-5 years out of this project.
Ron
3-5 years of typically what ? A vague statement you do make.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciron View Post
3-5 years of typically what ? A vague statement you do make.
Refinishing bath fixtures has a limited lifespan. That lifespan is 3-5 years. Then it starts to peel off, down to the original surface. It will typically start by the drain. Toilets are the worst, followed by sinks. If the shower is in the tub, then it's a tie with the sink. If they spray the tile, the first place to go will be in the shower where the tile hits the door frame.
I've had 6 customers do it. None have made it past 5 years.
If you need more detail, let me know.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Refinishing bath fixtures has a limited lifespan. That lifespan is 3-5 years. Then it starts to peel off, down to the original surface. It will typically start by the drain. Toilets are the worst, followed by sinks. If the shower is in the tub, then it's a tie with the sink. If they spray the tile, the first place to go will be in the shower where the tile hits the door frame.
Ron
Guess I'll be writing back within 5 years as I have a warranty for any lifting peeling, cracking, fading, etc. for 5 years. I spoke with several contractors before choosing one and they all alluded that with fiberglass I can expect a decent finish for at least 10-12 years without any major problems.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #10

Refinishing is definitely something for the professionals. If the company doing it isn't reputable, then its longevity is probably limited. I've seen work done by the bad guys and you're right it doesn't last very long. I've also seen some stuff done by more reputable companies and it seemed to last a long time. Guess you get what you pay for.
jayatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #11

We also chose to have 2 fiberglass units professionally refinished in lieu of replacement. We moved in to our home 18 years ago. One bath was blue, blue tubstall, vanity counter and tiled floor. The other was out dated almond and browns. The shower and tubstall were structurally sound, just the wrong color. I had both units refinished in neutral whites. Recently I finished updating and remodeling both bathrooms by having the same company come back and refinish both tiled floors in beautiful natural accent finishes and my vanity counters. They look wonderful- easy to clean- no more porous grout lines, but still look like stone tile. We have received a lot of compliments on both bathrooms and definitely share the information on cost savings and time to refinish as opposed to ripping every thing out. Not only did we save thousands of dollars; the time to refinish compared to replacement was only 24 hours.
louzanie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Ron
The company we chose had an excellant reputation. We did our homework before choosing them. Our finishes have lasted 11 years so far on the tubstall and shower stall with no problems. I think you need to find a different company.

Advertisement

louzanie04 is offline   Reply With Quote