DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Is fiberglass insulation safe for us with dishwasher?

43K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jen78fl 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. Im new here. My husband just installed a new dishwasher today. Actually its his parents old dishwasher. Anyway, it has fiberglass insulation that you just put over the top and sides of the dishwasher. Our old one didnt have any type of insulation. Anyway, from what Ive read, inhaling any kind of fiberglass is not good for you. The thing that worries me is that there are some tears in the plastic covering of the fiberglass and also it originally came with holes through the fiberglass to attach to the little wheels on the side of the dishwasher..We have just ordered a new fiberglass insulation but it will probably still have 2 holes in it.. Anyway, should I be concerned about fiberglass escaping and getting on our dishes or in the air? Just wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks all!

Jen

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks Greg. Would it be safe then to just not have the insulation at all? My husband thinks it would get too hot and possibly cause damage to the countertop..

Also, do you know if all insulation for dishwashers is fiberglass or do they ever make it with another type of material?

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Greg. Would it be safe then to just not have the insulation at all? My husband thinks it would get too hot and possibly cause damage to the countertop... Also, do you know if all insulation for dishwashers is fiberglass or do they ever make it with another type of material?
No, it won't overheat it. In fact, with the insulation blanket, the exact opposite would more likely take place. The countertop would be slightly cooler, since the machine's heat would be more contained - away - from the counter top.

Pretty much every D/W I have run into, with acoustic insulation, was made of fiberglass = as stated, for sound insulation.
I think you may be confusing fiberglass insulation with something more hazardous, unless you have some kind of extreme sensitivity to it?
I'd install it, and enjoy the quieter machine...

Safety Information on fiberglass: http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439

Same question in another forum:
http://forums.partselect.com/dishwasher-repair/dishwasher-insulation-927.html

Other Dishwashers do have them:
http://www.abtelectronics.com/about/Buying_dishwashers.php3:
"Insulation
Dishwashers are insulated with fiberglass batting on three sides and the top. Some have a layer of foil over the exterior of the tub to further reduce escaping heat and noise. Quieter models have additional insulation on the exterior of the tub. Select models include insulation on the door panel, access panel and kickplate to further reduce noise."

#8 · (Edited)
old vs new fg

Anyway, should I be concerned about fiberglass escaping and getting on our dishes or in the air?

Thirty or more years ago, fibreglas insulation was quite hazardous to handle and would penetrate your skin to itch etc. Modern fibreglas seems much safer to handle. I dunno if the fibers are larger, or what. But it now appears it can now be handled safely without heavy gloves and masks.

So I suppose it matters how old the dishwasher is. Anyway, tape should hold it in, as someone has suggested.

It is still hazardous to handle http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35439 but it seems to me to be less hazardous than when I was a kid.

#9 ·
Thanks again everyone... Interesting info Cal..

By the way, the model number of the kenmore dishwasher is 665-15891790. I have been trying to find out what the material is in the insulation (part number 3381229) but have not been able to find out this info. It probably is fiberglass, but I would like to know for sure though.

#10 ·
You're overthinking and fixated on a "problem" that does not exist. Your home is filled to the brim with fiberglass in the exterior walls. Your attic probably has fiberglass insulation or blown-in insulation or a combination of both.

Fiberglass is not asbestos.

The insulating fiberglass "blanket" around a dishwasher can't intermingle with the contents inside the diswhasher once installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.