Fence Plowing/Fence Popping - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence Plowing/Fence Popping

I have discovered that Fence Plowing/Fence Popping is an Olympic sport on Long Island. Kids will run into a fence in order to knock out the panels or take down the fence. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fence%20plowing
The got my 6ft PVC privacy fence twice. Each time the rails and posts stay intact, but the panels pop out. I already filed a police report and fixed the fence both times.
My question is: Has anyone else encountered this and does anyone have suggestions as to how I might go about reinforcing the panels so they do not pop out when someone hits them? Legal and non-lethal solutions only please.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Advertisement

DonnegalDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A Off. This has to be in the top 3 funniest post ever. Sorry. I'm laughing with you, not at you. About your problem and a possible way to correct it from the random acts of fence plowing... Could you post a photo of the fence to see if someone can come up with a solution to keep the panels from popping off when drunk teenagers are trying to knock it down? thanks.

Advertisement

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

See if the police will make a few extra passes for awhile. You might speak with the community relations people at the police department as well. If they can nail a couple of the kids and their parents have to fork out to fix the fence, it could slow the enthusiasm for the activity.

In a way, if the panels are popping intact you are lucky. At least the little monsters are not damaging things to the point you have to completely rebuild the panels or pushing posts over. I fear if you ran a piece of steel or something between posts as reinforcement you could end up with more damage. You might try different fasteners?

It might fool them for a time if you get those real looking but fake surveilance cameras and "you are being watched" sort of stickers. You can find them online, in pairs, on eBay, Amazon, etc. for $20 or so I think. Some, just a bit more expensive, actually have blinking lights that do nothing but make them look even more realistic.

An extra motion light or two, if you can mount them close enough to be triggered without being destroyed themselves might make them think twice. I suppose some sort of audio alarm might be a thought for a time. If it goes off too often it will not please your neighbors but you could set it for late at night when I assume this is happening?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

No offense taken, I'm kind of laughing at it too. My solution was a Remington 870 with some OO Buckshot, but the wife (and the officer) agreed this would be a little bit extreme. I don't have a pic of mine right now, but this basically what I haveName:  Fence.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  2.3 KB The panels are about 18" wide and lock into the top and bottom rails and to each other via tongue and groove.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,030

Razor wire
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
See if the police will make a few extra passes for awhile. You might speak with the community relations people at the police department as well. If they can nail a couple of the kids and their parents have to fork out to fix the fence, it could slow the enthusiasm for the activity.

In a way, if the panels are popping intact you are lucky. At least the little monsters are not damaging things to the point you have to completely rebuild the panels or pushing posts over. I fear if you ran a piece of steel or something between posts as reinforcement you could end up with more damage. You might try different fasteners?
It might fool them for a time if you get those real looking but fake surveilance cameras and "you are being watched" sort of stickers. You can find them online, in pairs, on eBay, Amazon, etc. for $20 or so I think. Some, just a bit more expensive, actually have blinking lights that do nothing but make them look even more realistic.

An extra motion light or two, if you can mount them close enough to be triggered without being destroyed themselves might make them think twice. I suppose some sort of audio alarm might be a thought for a time. If it goes off too often it will not please your neighbors but you could set it for late at night when I assume this is happening?
I'm on a corner lot and the fence runs about 70 feet and is set back about 6 feet from the roadside. When the knock it in, my backyard and my pool is exposed creating a potential liability. At least they aren't breaking the panels and it is a simple repair. They just started a neighborhood watch along with the PD in my area. I'm going to get in touch with the coordinating officer.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
Razor wire
Maybe call my EOD friends...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Get some nice large boulders, placing them in a way that they will damage the vehicle. Also placing metal poles in the ground, in a way that they will rip into the vehicle, rendering it to the point that it will not be able to drive away.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Get some nice large boulders, placing them in a way that they will damage the vehicle. Also placing metal poles in the ground, in a way that they will rip into the vehicle, rendering it to the point that it will not be able to drive away.
They are running into the fence with their bodies. The street just gives them easy access to the fence. PD told me they usually drive up, run through the fence and drive away.
I have some 6ft aborvitae along that side, maybe it's time to fill in between with some more. The boulders are also a good idea to keep them from getting a good run at the fence, or just make a big diving board for them.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I like the post and boulder idea. You could do something quite tasteful with lodgepole pine or other treated round timber and some well placed boulder.

Any police department will tell you a diligent neighborhood watch force is one of the best crime deterrents.

Do leave the gun down for this though. You do not want to end up like the guy in Florida. And shooting kids for busting out your fence panels, tempting though it may be, will not work out in your favor.

Of course you could just move to a mansion with security in the Hampton's. You are already used to the climate.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #11

Just kidding about the firepower. I'm po'd at the lack of respect for other people's property. We would have got our arses kicked if we did this type of stuff when we were kids.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #12

"Of course you could just move to a mansion with security in the Hampton's. You are already used to the climate."

I'll give P-Diddy a call and see if he has some spare room.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnegalDan View Post
Just kidding about the firepower. I'm po'd at the lack of respect for other people's property. We would have got our arses kicked if we did this type of stuff when we were kids.
Well speaking optimistically, perhaps if your Neighborhood Watch group leads to them getting caught and they, or their parents, suffer the expense of repairing things they will begin to understand.

By the way, is there some sort of optional wrap around mounting hardware for those panels? Would that just make the damage worse if they kicked at them?
Old 07-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #14

There is no hardware that I know of, unless I were to custom build something. I think my approach may be to make the fence a less appealing target with some landscaping. Thanks to all for the suggestions
Old 07-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnegalDan View Post
There is no hardware that I know of, unless I were to custom build something. I think my approach may be to make the fence a less appealing target with some landscaping. Thanks to all for the suggestions
In addition to some timber and boulders, why not some attractive low maintenance plants with thorns or sharp leaves. Some hybrid dwarf species of holly come to mind.

Advertisement