Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #1

Share |

fence placement

I know this question is going to seem really ignorant but I have to ask it anyway. I just bought my first house and want to install my privacy fence. There is a 10' utility easement along the rear property line. My question is this. Does that mean that I have to place the fencing 10' from the property line? Or is that for permanent structures?

1sthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

fence placement

Check with your village or city, due to that will give you the criterias of where the fencing is placed. Matter of fact, are there other home owners around you with fencing already in place, or not? That would be a clue as to where the fencing can be placed.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
remodeling pro

fence placement

If the easement is within you property line, you can put your fence on the property line, but the utility will probably not replace it if they have to remove it for access to the servitude. If you build anything of a permanent nature within the servitude, they are within their rights to demand that you remove it at your expense or they will destroy it when they need access. If it is a situation where there is a servitude between the backs of properties, and you encroach into it with your fence, they will demand that you remove it.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

fence placement

The neighbor to the left has a fence installed but the lots are irregular so my lot is further back than his lot. So I really dont have a reference line.

That is what I was thinking, that I could put it on the property line but if they had to remove the fence, it would be at my expense.

Thank you both.
1sthome is offline   Reply With Quote