Fence, Cedar Or Pressure Treated Pine? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fence, cedar or pressure treated pine?

We are putting in a fence in the backyard. One company suggested #2 STK Western Red Cedar and another suggested plain pressure treated pine. The difference in price is $200 which is not a huge one. We know nothing about wood for the outdoors so if you can give me some advice on which is the best way to go about this it will be great.

A little bit more details about the fence. It is a 7 ft tall picket style fence, in the shade of tall trees half of the year and we have humid summers. We don't intend to stain it.

Thanks!

Advertisement

farmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Cedar will last long and look better. But add a sealer, it will make a nice fence look great.

Advertisement

pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Is the number 2 cedar planks good enough or we should go for number 1? We don't really care about knots because the backyard has a pretty natural woodsy feel. Does the grade make a difference in terms of durability?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Well, my parents went with # 1 and it looks great. I did #2 on my very back fence, it still looks nice but it is not as red toned: at least on mine it isnt. Also the knots do start to shrink and pop out in some places over time.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

When the knots pop, does it weaken the plank structurally? When you say overtime, is this 5 years or 1-2 years?