Felt Paper - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Felt Paper

I have sheeted in a new addition I just built. It is now bad weather and has been raining off and on and freezing as well. My question is- is it safe for me to lay down the felt paper over top of wet plywood and start to shingle the roof? I don't want to keep having the plywood getting wet and the water coming inside on the floor. Also I am sure that snow is coming soon and really don't feel like doing the roof in cold weather. It is a 8 square roof with vented soffit and cobra vent on the top. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

2007fxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

Felt Paper

That sounds like a very bad idea to me. I would probably just double up the felt and wait for spring.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

Felt Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
That sounds like a very bad idea to me. I would probably just double up the felt and wait for spring.
I agree, I would not shingle anything until I knew the sheathing was 100% dry.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #4

Felt Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007fxst View Post
I have sheeted in a new addition I just built. It is now bad weather and has been raining off and on and freezing as well. My question is- is it safe for me to lay down the felt paper over top of wet plywood and start to shingle the roof? I don't want to keep having the plywood getting wet and the water coming inside on the floor. Also I am sure that snow is coming soon and really don't feel like doing the roof in cold weather. It is a 8 square roof with vented soffit and cobra vent on the top. Thanks for your help.
I did read on DIY site that plywood will still breath and dry out even if felt paper is on it. But just wanted to be sure because I can't have everything come apart due to rain. But then I can't have mold as well. I was thinking of felt paper and then use a heater inside to help dry out the plywood. What do you all think on that. I did see people repair roofs in the rain before and felt paper and then it rained and soon as it stopped they finished up.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Felt Paper

Go ahead and do it it's done everyday somewhere, just be careful wet=slippery icy=very slippery
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Rewards Points: 250

Felt Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Punch View Post
Go ahead and do it it's done everyday somewhere, just be careful wet=slippery icy=very slippery
Yes, on jobs that have guys getting paid when they get done.

I don't recommend it.

To the OP, did you use OSB or Plywood for the sheathing?

One more question, are you just going to be "roughing in", or are you planning on getting felt down and shingling right away?

Last edited by Cole; 12-11-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #7

Felt Paper

I used plywood. And all the walls are up and done and siding is almost done as well. I just put the felt on today. And turned a heater on inside to maybe help dry it out a little along with a dehum.,. I am planning to shingle either tomorrow or Thursday.

Advertisement