Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: what do you think?
Poll Options
what do you think?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

feedback on business idea

Hi everyone

I'm trying to do some market research on my countertop business idea (almost out of uni, gotta find something to do!), and after reading some posts here I thought this would be a good place to ask for some feedback.

so here's the gist of it:

- you measure your cabinets yourself
- go on my website, where you input the measurements, sink/stove/faucet locations for your countertop.
- I deliver the prefabricated countertop, and you'll just need a screw driver to install it yourself.

basically the main advantage is the online software that you can use to lay out your kitchen, bathroom, etc. and the fact that you don't have to pay for the measurements and installation.

anyone think this is a good idea? would you be interested in using a service like this? Thanks for any tips

Jack000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 32

I do not think for a moment I would trust home owner's measurements, I don't trust my own.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #3

I think you'll have a lot of unsatisfied customers who don't understand that thier rooms aren't square and their walls aren't straight. They'll blame you and not the builder.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

not a good way to save about $75 for correct measurements. A homeowner does not know what to look for. Measurements are not suffice anyway. We make templates to account for out of square or bowed wall conditions. Sell the pet rock instead. Even that was a better business plan. And if you think that homeowner measurements are enough then I could not even consider the idea of using you to make a countertop.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 100

I would not even consider letting a customer measure. It takes a lot of work to teach an apprentice carpenter how to measure correctly.

Seems like a great way to go broke--A warehouse filled with mis-cut counter tops --MIKE--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 46

As a homeowner and diy'er I'm pretty confident that I could get the right measurements that you'd need to install a counter top in my kitchen.

At the same time, I'm 99.9% sure there would be one measurement, if not more, that would be off by just a hair. Just enough to make the whole thing look bad. Like everyone else, I think you'd have a lot of headaches with this business. Migraines.

How about a ''diy homeowner consulting/teaching'' service? You go to the homeowners house. Find out what project they want to do. Assist and teach them everything they need to know from the planning all the way through to the end. Even what tools to use and how to use them.

You would be sort of like a dad, who's been in the business for years, teaching his grown son/daughter how to fix/build things. A lot of people these days don't have a dad or grand father who taught them even the basics.

Just an idea (although, maybe not a good one). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I do not think for a moment I would trust home owner's measurements, I don't trust my own.
gotta agree.... i measure 3 and 4 times before i cut anything....and i STILL goof once in a great while.

but go easy guys, he's just trying to make an honest living, like most of us are.

DM
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

The big box stores already do this, but they come out & measure
HD charges $30 to come out & measure, then that is towards the cost of the counter if you follow thru & purchase

Not sure where you are located, or how much business you could expect
One person posted on here & there wasn't anyone in his area so he had enough business lined up as a handyman
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I too think you would be treading on dangerous ground fabricating to homeowner measurements. Here is a website with some great business ideas though. Perhaps you will find something else that works for you?

http://springwise.com/
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

If YOU are going to stand behind your product, you need to do the measurement. Best of luck with other ventures.....
Old 12-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #11

thanks for the feedback. I had thought about mis-measurements, but I figured I could charge them extra for a recut. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research.

I'm actually an engineering student, and the choice to do countertops was a bit arbitrary - my cousin does countertops and I figured I would have at least some connections in the industry. The general business idea is more like this:

- user designs the product with an easy to use online tool
- the server is connected directly to a CNC machine, which produces the customized product on demand
- I ship the product to the customer

it's a basic pull production model, with a layer of software that allows you to customize the product with very little cost to the manufacturer.

you can see an example of this model with my current business, which is for making wooden signs: www.carveit.ca

are there any products that you need a lot of customization for, that is not trivial to produce on your own? (cabinet doors?) I thought countertops were the perfect thing, but I'm by no means a builder so I still don't understand a lot of this stuff.

thanks again
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
the Musigician

go to user cp and turn on PMs.... i have questions, and maybe even answers for you.

DM
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

I thought it was Christmas, not April 1st.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #14

yeah, I think PMs are on.

Willie:
I think Jesus was born in March, so April would probably be closer
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #15
the Musigician

PMs not on. click your user name and you'll see.

DM