Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fastening something to asbestos shingles

I have a house with asbestos shingles. My fiance and I want to put one of the decorative steel stars on the front. I want to make sure it is securely fastened, but I am unsure of the best way to bolt and fasten the star through the asbestos and into the 3/4 clapboard underneath.

I know it can be done because several of my carpenters cut through it for various reasons, I just don't know the best way I should w/o cracking the shingles.

troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

If you just need a few holes you can drill slowly and use a spray bottle to keep the surface wet so that there is no dust. If you want what your installing to set directly on the clap board and have the shingles come up to it, I would carefully remove the shingles as necessary then get some of the non-asbestos replacement shingles that can be cut to fit.

If you are going to remove shingles wear a respirator, put something down on the ground below the area you will be working, make every effort to remove the shingles in a way that dose not break them, then seal the waste in a plastic bag and check on how to properly dispose of the asbestos in your area.

Good luck.

Jesse Pender

Portland Tradesmen
www.portlandtradesmen.com

Portlandtrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

thanks. I will try drilling a 1/2 in hole and then screw the bolt in through that.

fingers crossed!
troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote