Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fans in Garage

I have an uninsulated but drywalled 2 car garage. It get very hot in the summer. I am considering mounting 2 of those 20 inch high velocity floor fans to the ceiling to help push the air out and get some cross vent going thru the side door and big garage door. I have a ceiling outlet already, so power isn't an issue. Anyone ever done this before or have suggestions? I want to keep the project under $100 and the fans are $40 each. I could really use some advice here...Thanks.

mcshirey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fans in Garage

Where are you located?
Is the outside that much cooler?

I'd consider insulating any wall that faces South & is in direct sun
Plant some trees for shade for long term cooling

Overhead fans will make it seem cooler by blowing air on you
If the garage is hotter then outside then exhausting the air will work. I think I'd want an exhaust fan like you are planning then an overhead fan to make it cooler

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 262

Fans in Garage

My 2 car garage was not insulated when we moved in and I did not want to take the drywall down because it was a new house. The heat was unbearable, at times it hit 120 when the outside temp was in the 90s. I got together with a neighbor that had the same issue and we had a company load the walls and ceiling with blown in insulation for $750 ($1500 for both garages). Now it is cooler than the outside temperature in the summer and in the winter it has never allowed water to freeze in the hose. I live in SW PA where the winter can get pretty cold. Money well spent...

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fans in Garage

Moving air over your skin will always feel cooler. I have had a couple of those 20" high velocity fans around for many years - they are excellent and have served to cool down houses, garage, patios, etc.

What insulation is overhead in the garage? Insulating the attic area is usually the easiest, cheapest, and provides the biggest improvement.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Fans in Garage

"I want to keep the project under $100". I understand, we all want to do the right things and on a budget. Of course wall and ceiling insulation would be the #1 suggestion in my book, we'll wait on that one. Trees are a great idea, but they cost and have to grow. Without knowing if you have windows, or some manner to exhaust the air, I believe those fans you want will only move hot air around, sorry. I built a 24 x 36 unattached garage with 10' ceilings, in 1996 on a "worn shoe-string" budget, and it got hot in there as I was finishing the inside in August. I have windows, you didn't mention whether you had any or not. I started out with those $10 (back then) box fans in windows to push air in one side and pull out or the other, that worked better than nothing. The I cut a hole in the ceiling just a little smaller than one of those box fans, I placed a box fan lying over the hole, I left the switch on #3, plugged the cord into an extension cord so I could plug it up and unplug it, and that helped a bunch. I know it's not recommended, but it was temporary. Some time later I bought a whole house fan like you put in the ceiling in your home to replace it, what a difference that made. I had enough soffit vents and two gable vents for discharge. Now all walls and ceiling are insulated, I changed the big shop doors to insulated doors, as my shop faces south. It has been over 100 here for three weeks now, I can go in the shop with the doors closed, the ceiling fan on, and it is tolerable, when it's that hot out there's only so much you can do. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 262

Fans in Garage

I'd bet the attic fan would do the trick as long as you have vents (or open door or window) for about $100. I gave this some thought when I insulated my garage but I was concerned if a fire started in the garage it would be drawn into the attic and spread to the rest of the house.
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #7

Fans in Garage

Hi Mc, My neighbor and I had to same issues. We went about four feet to either side of the attic ladder and cut a hole between the ceiling joist about 3 feet long. We framed it with some cheap bassboard and bought two pieces of that 1 inch square plastic stuff that covers flourescent lights. (Can't remember what its called) Cut it to fit and laid up inside and on the baseboard. I didn't think it would work at first but the heat in the attic created and natural draft up and into the attic. I'll bet it lowered to temp at least 10 degrees. Wouldn't you know it, now my other neighbors are wanting theirs done too. It works really well and I spent about $47.

Good luck.
Bottomdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

Fans in Garage

What is the plastic stuff? Do you have any photos or a website where I can see the material?

Thanks
mcshirey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

Fans in Garage

Bottomdweller has a good idea provided the attic has roof or ridge vents. Otherwise you may be violating local fire codes. The plastic stuff he refers to is the plexiglass diffuser that snaps onto twin tube
flourescent light fixtures.

Last edited by Grampa Bud; 07-10-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #10

Fans in Garage

Thanx Grandpa, Defusier was the word

Bottomdweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fans, garage, ventilation