Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

F-150 towing

I have a 2010 which is rated to tow 7,700 lbs, I want to tow a pontoon boat that weighs 2,200 lbs plus passenger weight and gear which will put my total at or about 3,500 lbs. Should I or do I need to have electric brakes installed to be safe?

econdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

F-150 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by econdave View Post
I have a 2010 which is rated to tow 7,700 lbs, I want to tow a pontoon boat that weighs 2,200 lbs plus passenger weight and gear which will put my total at or about 3,500 lbs. Should I or do I need to have electric brakes installed to be safe?
I won't speak to the specifics. I'm not an engineer.

But if it was my rig, I'd get the electric brakes. A couple hundred bucks to insure better braking on $50,000 worth of stuff seems like a good idea to me.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

F-150 towing

Dave,
up here in Ohio they used to require brakes on any trailer over 2000 lbs. I would definitely go the brake route. You want to be able to stop when you need to.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

F-150 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Dave,
up here in Ohio they used to require brakes on any trailer over 2000 lbs. I would definitely go the brake route. You want to be able to stop when you need to.
Mike Hawkins
Hey Mike -

Nothing about towing here, but I've just looked at the pictures of some of your projects. Holy crap man, you do INCREDIBLE work! VERY impressive!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
firehawkmph (01-16-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

F-150 towing

"econdave"--First I would check with whomever you would be obtaining the electric brake set-up from about the use of their brake set-up being "under water" basically. I have some limited experience with installing electric brakes, on trailer used to haul race cars, and have never seen a set which did not state "NOT for use after being submerged"-as in backing a boat. I'm not saying they are not out there, but make sure you get a set-up which is made for your use.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

F-150 towing

Thurman,
we always unplugged the wiring harness from the boat at the launch ramps to keep from blowing the light bulbs out in the trailer lights. Never had a problem with the brakes or controllers as long as we unplugged them.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 264

F-150 towing

Legal wise check with your state.

Here in Illinois its #3000 .

I haven't towed a boat with my super-crew f150 but have towed a #3500 cargo

with electric and a #2500 popup camper with surge and appreciated the

margin of safety the trailer brakes afforded.

Back in the 90's I towed a #3500 boat dozens of times on the interstates with a full size car and no trailer brakes.

I don't ever care to try that again as its very stressful driving.

Short low speed driving I wouldn't worry , long/highway driving different story.

Surge is typical for boat trailers , I don't know the reliability of newer electrics being submerged.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

F-150 towing

I have experienced towing a 5th wheel RV with electric brakes.
The wheel magnets are subjected to very harsh conditions and are made to be insulated against water intrusion.
External wiring connections can be questionable and I have found that by soldering these, wrapping the joint with electrical tape and then coating the tape with 3M liquid tape will make a good, water proof seal.
On RV trailers they have a break away switch that operates the brakes should the trailer separate from the tow vehicle.
This requires an extra battery on the trailer. It could be installed in a position that would keep it from being immersed.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

F-150 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I have experienced towing a 5th wheel RV with electric brakes.
The wheel magnets are subjected to very harsh conditions and are made to be insulated against water intrusion.
External wiring connections can be questionable and I have found that by soldering these, wrapping the joint with electrical tape and then coating the tape with 3M liquid tape will make a good, water proof seal.
On RV trailers they have a break away switch that operates the brakes should the trailer separate from the tow vehicle.
This requires an extra battery on the trailer. It could be installed in a position that would keep it from being immersed.

I have towed a boat with my screw f-150 with electric brakes.I want much more knowledge related to towing.
Rexi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

F-150 towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by econdave View Post

I had a 23 foot power boat, trailer, gear, and gas about 5500 lbs, (towed with a 1500 4wd chevy silverado without any problems) passenger weight doesn't matter for tow, you can't tow with people in the boat. Most boat trailer brakes I have seen are manual brakes built into the trailer tongue. As long as your trailer is designed for the boat, the brakes will be water proof, but unplug if electric.

anything over 2000 lbs or so can and will push your truck while braking, so I would put some sort of brakes on the trailer. You may also want to install a tranny cooler if not already equipped from the factory.
D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

F-150 towing

Most boat trailers that you see around saltwater are surge brakes, i.e. there is a cylinder in the tongue and the brakes are activated by compression of the cylinder. The harder the force, the more the trailer brakes are activated. I've had then on a number of trailers for center console boats ranging from 2000 lb. to 5000 lb. towed by a Yukon XL and they make a huge difference, particularly under hard breaking which is when you need them most, obviously. My opinion is that you absolutely need them to be safe. Without them the stopping distance of your vehicle will go up substantially.

I would think if you're keeping the boat on the trailer and going to the ramp everytime that you want to use it that you'd get better service life out of the surge brakes. I don't know anyone who trailers a boat around here on the Chesapeake that uses electric brakes but maybe I just have not noticed.

Last edited by Ironlight; 11-01-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote