Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Extremely bumpy floor

When we bought our house the kitchen had a low-grade floating floor...so low grade that it was starting to shift and show gaps within our first year of living here. We decided to replace the floor but when we pulled up the floating floor the linoleum that is underneath is extremely uneven...There are spots where the floor joists (I'm assuming) are showing through the linoleum.

We currently don't have the money to call in a professional...and we also don't have the money to rip everything up to install a whole new subfloor. Is there anything we can do as a temporary fix. We have purchased sheet vinyl to install and want to make it last as long as possible. I am afraid that if we don't make some effort to level the floor, if only marginally, we will have wasted our money.

Any advice, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kristinc232; 01-01-2014 at 10:09 PM.
kristinc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Extremely bumpy floor

It costs nothing to go under the house and view the structure and see why you have highs and lows in the floor. In fact, you should have had a home inspector do that before you bought the house, so what did he say about the issue? Without fixing the underlying structural issue, any flooring that you put down will be stressed where the high spots are. My advice would be to save money, increase your DIY skills, and put down the cheapest vinyl that will cover the floor. Anything you put down now takes away $$ from the ultimate fix that is needed. So go low. There are a couple of discount stores near me where you can find roll vinyl for under 50c a foot.

kristinc232 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Extremely bumpy floor

Thank you. We will check out the structure in the basement tonight. We live in an area...very rura where there are no home inspectore, trust me I looked into it and the nearest one was over 100 miles away and wasnt willing to drive the distance. The house was built in the early 1900s so I am assuming the issue is a combinatiom of the house settling and the current linoleum having been installed without a proper subfloor. We have already purchased fairly cheap sheet vinyl to be installed we just wanted to know if there waa anyway to somewhat level the floor before laying it...I am afraid that even a fairly thick subfloor would bow or break eventually because of how 'bumpy' the floor currently is. I will post later once we have checked the joists in the basement.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Extremely bumpy floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc232 View Post
When we bought our house the kitchen had a low-grade floating floor...so low grade that it was starting to shift and show gaps within our first year of living here. We decided to replace the floor but when we pulled up the floating floor the linoleum that is underneath is extremely uneven...There are spots where the floor joists (I'm assuming) are showing through the linoleum.

We currently don't have the money to call in a professional...and we also don't have the money to rip everything up to install a whole new subfloor. Is there anything we can do as a temporary fix. We have purchased sheet vinyl to install and want to make it last as long as possible. I am afraid that if we don't make some effort to level the floor, if only marginally, we will have wasted our money.

Any advice, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ayuh,.... Is the underside of the floor viewable from below,..??

Is the structure of the floor stable,..??

I'd rip up the linoleum to find what's below it,...
Clean up what's there, then trowel on a flattenin' layer of levelin' compound to flatten it,...
That way, yer sheet stock floorin' has 1/2 a chance of lastin' awhile,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
kristinc232 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

Extremely bumpy floor

I have attached a picture of what I see from the basement (hope the pic shows up). I checked and all of the floor joists are level. There are no structural concerns that we know of. There is one squeaky spot when you walk over it but it is quite a distance from ths bumpy part. The bumpy area is confined to the middle and south east of the kitchen. I saw no water damage on the underside where the bumps are.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140102_121353.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #6

Extremely bumpy floor

Sorry and yes the floor is stable. We have had no issues other than the unevenness causing the fridge door to shut on its own etc. Hope that helps
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Extremely bumpy floor

the humps are probably from the 1x sub floor buckling or curling. you can possibly screw those planks back down and get some of the humps out. find the worst spots and stand on them bouncing some seeing if they tip any from your weight. this will help determine if the boards will pull back down with screws applied. after screwing down planks put luan plywood over them nailing the luan really well and then your vinyl flooring over the luan.

edit, one way to get a 1x6 curl out is to rip a saw kerf down the middle of 1x6 and then re nail both sides as if they are 1x 3. it is much better to pull out bad wood and replace with new wood but not always easy beacuse the walls sit on the boards etc...

Last edited by hand drive; 01-03-2014 at 11:33 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
eandjsdad (01-03-2014)

Tags
bumpy floor, leveling floor, subflooring, uneven floor