Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior water entry where stairs concrete-to-concrete

Hi Everyone, some church folks are trying to help a woman who could use. Here are pics for context: https://plus.google.com/photos/10112...PeA56aK4IzUwQE.

We understand that some major work needs to be done to remedy her issues long term. But could anyone suggest some short-term solutions to get her by. If you click on each picture, captions provide more description. Here are the major issues:
1) the steps are leaning into the foundation wall. Any sort of patching or sealing short-term solution?

2) the grade of her driveway and land is basically toward her house. Someone appears to have attempted to frame in a former garage-door opening. There are water-entry points on both sides of the former opening. Again, any patching or sealing solution available? Hydraulic cement (if we dig out some area first).

Many thanks. This is out of our league, but we hate to leave her helpless.

Jesse
jcinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

Jesse--I'm going to move this to General Discussion for you----this is in plumbing and will get better attention there.---Mike----
Old 09-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
DIY staff

You are facing several issues---those stairs---are they abandoned? If so--remove them or jack hammer enough so they don't drain into the house.

The garage door /wall was not built right----should have had a waterproof curb under the wall---that one may need to be removed and rebuilt---

You know that already---Let's see what other members suggest--I realize this is a volunteer job and all work and materials will be coming out of the congregations pocket---Mike----
Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

Mike, you are right on all accounts. The stairs are not abandoned, at least not ready to be abandoned. Someone had raised the possibility of using a compound that is used in asphalt applications. I'm actually not even sure that really was an original garage-door opening. Note that this pic shows a long horizontal concrete piece (with a wood bottom plate on top): https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...PeA56aK4IzUwQE.

That seems very odd to me (but we are trying not to get distracted). Many thanks for your comments.
jcinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
DIY staff

That sure looks like a garage conversion to me---with the usual leakage under the wall because the bottom plate was attached to the floor slab--without a concrete or cinder block curb.

I could be wrong----but I doubt it---

As to the stairs that are pitched to the structure---as a cheap "perfume on a pig" fix---packing a curb along the wall side using asphalt driveway patch might get them through the winter---but the stairs are sinking and really need to be removed to offer a proper,permanent cure.

Tags
concrete, foundation, patch, seal, water