Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Siding Options

We are building a home for a customer and they want a uniquely-sided home. The home is a ranch, with a walk-out basement. The lower level will be covered in painted or galvanized metal. For the main floor and gables they want a "smooth" siding. They do not want the vinyl or Hardie beveled siding look. Money is an issue, so it needs to economical. They like the look of horizontal tongue and groove cedar siding but do not like the idea of the maintenance needed to keep it looking good. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

raymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

Exterior Siding Options

Sounds like you have a problem. They have ruled out everything I think of when someone says siding. If they want maintenance free and cheap, the only thing left is vinyl and they don't like that. There are a few things out there but they are easily ruled out in the affordability category. Ask them if they are opposed to vinyl siding totally or just aren't excited about the traditional approach to horizontal attachment. I have seen some where they ran the siding at a 45, but you end up with some waste making it more expensive. You can also suggest running soffit material vertically. I have seen this and it doesn't look too bas at all.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

Exterior Siding Options

Hi Cal,
Thanks for the reply. We met with the client and the Architect today and discussed siding options. They really want a 'clean' horizontal look. By "clean", I mean they do not like the idea of ship lap siding. This applies to both vinyl and fiber cement siding. One option the Architect suggested was using fiber cement sheets. The issue of how to treat the joints then would have to be addressed. Is there a 1x8 or 1x10 Smart Trim type board with a rabbetted edge to allow a smooth installation (maybe 1/8" horizontal gaps) and still allow water to properly drain along the face of the siding?
Thanks,
Mark
raymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
BDN

Exterior Siding Options

I've been giving siding a good look and these guys make some good siding.

Look at the portsmouth shake. It's not cheap stuff but it's about as maintenance free as it gets.

http://www.cranesiding.com/
johnnydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

Exterior Siding Options

I'm sure there is siding the nature that you are looking for but the question as you phrased it earlier was budjet minded. Go to a supply house and pick their brain. Maybe get a hold of some suppliers. The problem is that we only see what is popular in each our areas. That doesn't meant that no one makes it, it only means that no one sells it in our ares. I know for a fact that you see different styles, colors, manufacturers, designs, etc when you get away from your home turf.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Exterior Siding Options

If they want cheap and seam free, use cement board and fill joints with thinset.

bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote