Exterior Shutters - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Exterior Shutters

I am looking at replacing the original (35 year old) wood shutters on my home because these ones are falling apart and rotting. Where is a good place to buy them? I would rather pay more money for a better quality product than to get a cheap material. I am leaning towards either wood or composite shutters. I really do not want vinyl, I think they look cheap and fade too much. I have seen houses with vinyl shutters were the shutters are bleeding onto the siding and I definitely don't want that. Another thing is that I have an exact color I want them to be so they need to be paint-able.

I need 5 pairs which are 14" x 55" and 4 pairs which are 14" x 72"

Advertisement

AtticBaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Exterior Shutters

If you saw vinyl shutters bleeding that had to be really old shutters. They just do not do that anymore/
I've never seen composit shutters. Paintable vinyl ones will work fine.
There going to have to be special ordered.
Sherwin Williams Duration or Super paint works great on vinyl.
Wooden ones would be very expensive.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exterior Shutters

To be Honest, you can try HD at their pro desk. They have manufacturers/suppliers that carry shutters that are not stocked (Special Order) = can be ordered (wood, other materials).

We went thru them on our last project to match-up some older wood shutters on a new addition (to an older home). The new wood shutters were a perfect match to the originals on the home. Be warned, they aren't cheap.

Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Exterior Shutters

When the ones on my old house started to rot, I pulled them off "just until I could get some new ones", which after a year or two, we decided we liked the house better WITHOUT any shutters, lol! You may want to try the appearance of the house without shutters. just a thought.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Exterior Shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougp23 View Post
When the ones on my old house started to rot, I pulled them off "just until I could get some new ones", which after a year or two, we decided we liked the house better WITHOUT any shutters, lol! You may want to try the appearance of the house without shutters. just a thought.
^^^^....worth trying....nothing to loose....

Not to mention the other options it opens up as far as the look of the window goes....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 624

Exterior Shutters

Get yourself some rolling shutters that go up above your windows. You can choose between pvc and aluminium.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Shutters

I would start your research at a website like ShutterLand Exterior Shutters. They have solid cedar exterior shutters and prices can be obtained quickly. You probably need less than 5 minutes to evaluate quality and compare to others.
Window Shutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Exterior Shutters

You should be take advice with your architecture he will give you a best advice and tell you about the place where you can buy easily shutters for your home To be Honest, you can it i was also want to replace my home shutter and i am get new shutter by the advice of my architecture.You can also contact with any architecture company.Thanks

Shop fronts London

Advertisement

Last edited by Adonis1; 05-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Adonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote