Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |

Extendable Shelve with Lazy Susan

I have a room with some built in shelves made of cedar (entire room is made of cedar). I am planning moving all of my components into that room; however, the sheles are not deep enough for my components. What I plan on doing is adding some sort of shelve that is on rails to extend out, then adding a lazy susan on top of that shelve, then another piece of wood on top of that. I know I am using terrible terminology, so I'll describe it in existing devices.

On a lot of computer desks, the keyboard unit is underneath the actual desk area, and is able to be pulled out via railing system. I wish to put this railing system on top of the shelve instead of below.

Then, with the same analagy, on top of the shelve where the keyboard would go, I wish to add a Lazy Susan, and another piece of wood on top of that. This will enable me to pull out the component, and then turn it to access the wiring behind it easily.

My main question is, what is the term for the railing I am looking for? I need to know what to tell the Lowes person what I am looking for, or find it for myself.

Or, any other suggestions are welcome!

dzirkelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #2

Drawer slides.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81432-93052-...cts$Ntt=drawer slides

Not sure if this link pasted correctly. they are found in the hardware section with other drawer hardware. Many different styles. If there is any sort of weight on the lazy susan don't cheap out on them.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

That's basically what I'm looking for, one question though, I will not be putting these on the side of my platform, but on the bottom. Will they work the same or is there something similar and I should just be able to find it in the same section?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

I believe there are bottom mounted drawer slides. Failing that, there is probably a way to side mount to a shelf. It would involve modifying the shelf- cutting the width down to accommodate the side sliders and maybe even joining some narrow dimentional stock to the sides of the shelf if it is not thick enough for the slides to attach.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #5

awesome, thanks for your help!