Exhaust Fan Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exhaust fan repair

The exhaust fan in my wife's bathroom went out and I have never attempted to fix one. I cleaned it real good and made sure the fan could move freely but I am guessing the motor died on me. Do I just need to take it down and take the motor off and replace it? Do hardware store, Lowe's, Home Depot etc. carry replacements?

Advertisement

UMWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exhaust fan repair

The fan/motor assembly usually removes easily from the metal housing. There is usual only one or two screws and the plug to remove it. How available replacements are depends on the model. Big box stores stock some, but contact the manufacturer for availability and location of distributors.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exhaust fan repair

There should be a make and model # on the housing somewhere. I'd check to see if it was worth the money to replace a low end coffe grinder sounding fan. Most bath fans I've come across are low end units begging for an upgrade.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Exhaust fan repair

I'll second that Ron. Most of the one's I've put new motors into the old fan box, I've had to come back within a year and replace the entire unit with an upgrade, and thought "I told you so". Spend the monies now, or spend it twice. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote