Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exhaust fan

A friend of mine lives in a apartment style condo. She has a ceiling exhaust fan in her bathrooms. She wants the strongest/quietest exhaust fans installed in her bathrooms. I some how got volunteered for this project even though I have never installed any.

What information do I need before I get started ?? Such as dimensions, duct size....????

How do I go about finding a strong/quiet exhaust fan for those dimensions ??

Any help is appreciated.

UMWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Exhaust fan

http://www.wilmar.com/Search?keyword...0exhaust%20fan
This will give you an idea of whats out there and prices. Don't know if they sell retail, you could call.
You are limited by how the old ones are mounted if in between floors. Fans are usually nailed/screwed to floor joists. Getting to those fasteners may be hard.
So will wiring a new fan unit. Attic access will be easier.
Pull the fan covers to see what you have. The fans here at these apartments have replaceable fan motors that simply unplug from the housing outlet along with a couple screws.
Her old units may be worn and plugged up, making them noisy and inefficient.
Fan motor change may be just the trick.

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Exhaust fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMWolve View Post
A friend of mine lives in a apartment style condo. She has a ceiling exhaust fan in her bathrooms. She wants the strongest/quietest exhaust fans installed in her bathrooms. I some how got volunteered for this project even though I have never installed any.

What information do I need before I get started ?? Such as dimensions, duct size....????

How do I go about finding a strong/quiet exhaust fan for those dimensions ??

Any help is appreciated.
Sound levels are measured in "Sones" The lower the number the quieter the fan. You will size the fan based on the size of the bathroom. Measure how many sq ft the bath has get at least that size. Go up one size if the bath is even a small bit larger then the sq ft size on the fan.
You may be able to use the ductwork of the previous fan, if it's in good shape. If it isn't, or it's the wrong size for the new fan, replace it.
If you pick a fan with more features then the fan that's there now, you will need to rewire for new switch(s). Some units can have a light, night light and a fan. Some have heat. For that, you'll need to run a new circuit.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote