Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Everything rusting badly in the storage room

I have a large storage room 3 metres by 3 metres which opens off the garage and is all under the one roof of my 3 year old house. The room is used for tools, Vacumaid system, paint, thinners, plant chemicals, luggage, pool equipment etc (no pool acid).
Many of the quality tools I have had for over 30 years and after 1 year of moving in to this house, the metal objects are totally gone. The rust is so severe, that I have never seen anything like it and neither has anyone else I know, including builders, painters and mechanical engineers. I was told that it is probably acid causing the rust, however I have emptied the room and there is no acid that I can see, however it still happens. The room does not have any windows or ventilation, however there are no roof leaks or moisture coming up from sealed floor. The garage houses 2 cars and an electric golf buggy, which I have had for 15 years in 3 other house/garages similar to my current one and there has never been an issue like this. One of the cars, a one year old BMW which is very rarely driven, is parked with the front left hand wheel beside the entry door to this room and the disc brake assembly on that left hand wheel is rusted, the other 3 wheels are perfectly clean. I have had many of this brand car and never seen this happen before on any one of them. I am hoping that someone will have an answer to my mystery rust problem.

gaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

The space needs ventilation, or at least air moving. A small fan left on all the time would help.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Where are you located?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #4

Gaza,

Check to see if your VACUMAID was vented into the clothes dryer exhaust.

A Vaucmaid is non filtered unit and normally needs to be vented outside. I have seen a vac vented THROUGH a dryer vent by some unknowing do gooder and all the humidity from the dryer came backwards into the tank and rotted the vac canister from the inside out within a year.

Otherwise I would HAVE SAID THERE IS LIKELY TOILET BOWL CLEANER IN YOU STORGAE... MURIATIC ACID OR SIMILAR. IT'S A KILLER
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
rwa

had the same problem once ... culprit was fire ant killer, Amdro (sp), chlorine is another common culprit in garages
rwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #6

If you can't spot anything, get a humidistat in that room even a battery operated one.

If the level is high throw in a dehumidifier and suspect condensation venting rather than acid.

Is it possible someone wrapped the entire room with vapour barrier? Was it an extension added to the house after construction.

Also check to see if a dryer vent pipe actually passes through the room and has a leak.

Please post back to let us know if anyone has an option for cleaning up the tools too. This would be a good " how to " thread if anyone has any pointers
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
(the original)

"plant chemicals"? Do you mean fertilizers and such? That could be at least part of the problem if they're not in sealed plastic containers.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #8

Do you leave the electric "electric golf buggy" plugged into it's charger in there? Usually those have multiple lead-acid batteries in them, which can give off acidic gasses when overcharged.
corriewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The space needs ventilation, or at least air moving. A small fan left on all the time would help.
I have installed a heavy duty exhaust fan in the ceiling in the last week, however I was intrigued and annoyed at what it could be. It is early days yet to see if the fan does the job. Thanks for you reply
Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Where are you located?
Gold Coast Australia
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Gaza,

Check to see if your VACUMAID was vented into the clothes dryer exhaust.

A Vaucmaid is non filtered unit and normally needs to be vented outside. I have seen a vac vented THROUGH a dryer vent by some unknowing do gooder and all the humidity from the dryer came backwards into the tank and rotted the vac canister from the inside out within a year.

Otherwise I would HAVE SAID THERE IS LIKELY TOILET BOWL CLEANER IN YOU STORGAE... MURIATIC ACID OR SIMILAR. IT'S A KILLER
The Vacumaid does not have avent at all. Do you know if Napthalene Flakes (for Moth Balls) would have similar effect
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
"plant chemicals"? Do you mean fertilizers and such? That could be at least part of the problem if they're not in sealed plastic containers.
Thank you , I will check that.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwa View Post
had the same problem once ... culprit was fire ant killer, Amdro (sp), chlorine is another common culprit in garages
Thanks I will check that even though I am sure I do not have those.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #14

Gday Gaza,

Not sure about the moth balls by themselves, BTW I am not A CHEMIST, (it's a nickname) but is it possible you could have a combined effect from moth balls and several other items vapourizing and making an airborne corrosive in your storage area?

That wheel /brake disc on the BMW seems to suggest you're dealing with more than humidity. How is the paint finish on the fender at that corner of the car. Is there any indication of discoloration or dullness if you are outside in bright sun?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
(the original)

One other thought....is the room drywalled? A lot of bad drywall that outgassed corrosives was shipped from China around the time your house was built.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote