Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Unhappy

Entry Door installation... Advice needed!

Ok,

So I just finished a tiling job that I did not think I could actually get installed properly so I am on a high horse right now... that is until I realized my current situation.

I need to install a new entry door for the front of the house. The door is falling apart and overall the jamb etc... is in bad shape. I wanted to rip it all out and install a pre-hung door... So I measure width and height and go to Lowes and buy a door, shims, nails, caulk, the works...

I go to check out the existing door and to my suprise(stupidity) the depth of the frame is a lot larger than the new pre-hung door I purchased. I mean without the brick modling it's 91/2 inches deep.... WHAT DO I DO????? Can I buy a pre-hung door at that depth? Do I have to do some custom work to fit my existing 6 inch deep door?

mburgess44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 150

Can you post up some pics? That would make it easier to come up with some ideas. But without seeing anything, I'd say if you can't custom order a deeper frame door (or if it is too cost prohibitive), then you'd have to do some custom carpentry work and rip a strip of wood a few inches wide to use to fill in the gap. But that would require some good joinery between the extension and the frame (I'd recommend pocket screws and glue).

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Buy the door at the exact depth you need. If not you need to extend the interior jams to be flush with the drywall. This is the easy part. BUT.. you need to extend the door sill also. Custom door weatherstripping will be needed. Best to buy the door that matches your depth.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

measure what you need and make extension jambs, install them before you set the door; Pocket screws were mentioned which work well, biscuits would also. For the Sill just tile into the setback, the saddle is probably about 1 1/4" high so you should be able to butt right to it without a problem.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

If you install jamb extensions interior, make sure the door swing when opening is not limited by the jamb extensions. (If it swings in).

Ge safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Just ran across this last Friday. Customer has asked me on the phone about replacing their back door with a completer new unit. When I asked questions about door width, door height, and casing width, he informed me he knew how to measure all of that and get the correct door. When I arrived Friday morning with house key in hand ( the were friends of a friend of mine who had told them I could be trusted) the first thing I did was measure the door width and height, fine there. The door casing width stopped the whole project and started the phone calls. The old casing was 5 3/4", and the new casing was 4 1/2", PERIOD! He's on the road selling drugs (pharmaceuticals) and she is a O.R. nurse. Now how hard can it be to get in touch with either of them--difficult to say the least. I finally got a call back from her, state the problem and tell her to call when she gets home and I'll show her the problem. After she and her husband get in and calls, we go over the door dimensions and I show them how I would have to make jamb extensions and fit everything just so/so. Well, I talked them into letting me take the door back to Lowe's as it was a stock SO and I talked them into swapping it (10% re-stocking fee) for the correct door with the correct jamb width(s). Ten days lead time, then we'll start again. So, it happens and you have to check all of the dimensions before buying a new door. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

I've never had Lowes or HD charge me a restocking fee on anything ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #8

On a Commercial Account or as a homeowner? Read the fine print.....

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If you decide to make jamb extensions, remove the brick moulding and put the extensions on the exterior. Then reinstall the brick moulding. You may still have an issue with the narrow threshold.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
On a Commercial Account or as a homeowner? Read the fine print.....

Be safe, G
Ah - I just have a residential account

I installed a 2x4 door in a 2x6 wall, it still opens at least 135 degrees
I'm building a seating bench against the wall where it opens
So that will stop it from opening more then 100 degrees
But with that depth of wall you will not be able to open it much past 90
If it opens in against a wall may not be a problem

If you put the extension jambs on the outside you need to worry about the threshold. Normally it should be a one piece threshold (sill)

hmmmm....OP hasn't been back since making the post
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

they sell replacement thresholds for the correct depth as well as threshold extenders.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #12

Thank you all for your post and I apologize for the delay. I have been out of town.

So basically... to start anyway I need to take my door back to Home Depot and get the the identical or closest to the depth of my current doorway.

If I can get it exactly I should be pretty good. If I can't then I may need some extensions.

How big is this project? I can post some pics when I have time...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Remodeling Contractor

not a good plan. Home Depot and others do not stock doors for wider openings. Project should take between 4 - 8 hours depending on tools you have and skill level
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #14

Okay!

Refund from Home depot & ??? Caulk the threshold and Jamb Paint it and buy another door not the entire pre-hung set... easiest solution.

It probably won't look as good either... which isn't good.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Remodeling Contractor

replacing only the door (slab) is a fine solution if you are careful when cutting the new hinges and door knobs to match your existing jam. You will need to correct drill bits and a very sharp chisel for this task. This is a less expensive way to go but needs a higher level of skill to complete.