Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Share |

Entry door hardware

We just purchased a new door, and I'm really looking forward to putting it in, but am having a terrible time deciding which type of door handle to use. I've heard great things about Baldwin, but they are pretty pricey. I'm looking for something that's going to stand up to use and abuse. What's your experience? Any recommendations?

drunkenDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 AM   #2

Entry door hardware

Baldwin is definitely a class act, will last a lifetime. Schlague would be my next choice, but no their cheapy line. Qwikset has been around for a long time, but their line seems to have been cheapened in the last few years.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

Entry door hardware

I've installed Emtek locksets many times on higher end projects without any complaints
http://www.handlesets.com/emtek/c378...FRNSgwod1UuxWQ
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #4

Entry door hardware

Thanks for the input, guys! After going to Home Depot and man-handling all of the sets one last time, the Baldwin just feels the most solid (though they don't seem to carry emtek). I decided I probably won't be replacing it anytime soon, and based on the amount of work I'm putting into finishing the door, I want the hardware to match. Baldwin it is.

If you're interested - more about the door project here: http://www.drunken-diy.com/staining-the-front-door/
drunkenDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Entry door hardware

Personal experience, test them out at the store. i bought a basic lock, and didn't realize that even though you lock the door, the inside handle still can open the door! Locked myself out in the winter, no phone, no keys to house or car. Needless to say it was and old solid door so i ended up kicking it in and now have a new aluminum door (with different hardware of course)
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote