Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Smile

Entertainment center

I am attempting to build a TV stand and eventyally an entire entertainment center for a 42 inch TV. I am needing guidance on what type of joint method would be the best. I have spoke with several people and the majority of them say to use dowel joints. Is this the best method or are there other sugestions. i just want to be sure that my TV does not end up on the floor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

baldeagle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Contractor

Entertainment center

There are a few ways to go about this. I generally use dado's and superb glue. I'm also assuming that you are planning to use cabintry grade wood and not some MDF or particle board junk.

For support, I usually use cleats beneath the shelf. One across the back, one spanning the center and rabbit in the front one. With a 42" set, you can also include a center upright and ajustable shelving to hold all of the rest of your gear.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:25 AM   #3

Entertainment center

Thanks for the advice, that gives me a starting point. Im new to woodworking and trying to figure out the best way to build things. Its easy to slap somethig together but to build something that lasts is a different story. I appreciate all your help

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #4

Entertainment center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetorbilt
There are a few ways to go about this. I generally use dado's and superb glue. I'm also assuming that you are planning to use cabintry grade wood and not some MDF or particle board junk.

For support, I usually use cleats beneath the shelf. One across the back, one spanning the center and rabbit in the front one. With a 42" set, you can also include a center upright and ajustable shelving to hold all of the rest of your gear.
I will be using 3/4 inch wood. How deep do you cut your dado's?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
2pyrs

Entertainment center

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagle51
I am attempting to build a TV stand and eventyally an entire entertainment center for a 42 inch TV. I am needing guidance on what type of joint method would be the best. I have spoke with several people and the majority of them say to use dowel joints. Is this the best method or are there other sugestions. i just want to be sure that my TV does not end up on the floor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
I made an entertainment center 8 foot long by 8 foot high and used only dry wall screws and no glue or dado cuts. It held 27 TV and 10 gallon fish tank on bottom shelf. Was around for 4 years and did fine.Most of the work was in making the design.

2pyrs

2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Entertainment center

Hmmm...
A few years ago I built a corner entertainment center for a customer with just a framing saw
Dado cuts and all
lol
The guy still uses it, he loves it

Quote:
I will be using 3/4 inch wood. How deep do you cut your dado's?
I'd also like to know how deep Teetorbilt recommends
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Contractor

Entertainment center

I dado to about 1/3 of the thickness of the board +.

A little trick: Set your dado depth so that the measurement from the bottom of the groove to the outside of the board is a common measurement. This helps when working with todays lumber and ply which now comes in metric and goofy sizes.

Say you're making a 3ft. long shelving unit from 3/4" ply which is really 23/32". Dado the shelf end pieces so that the bottom of the groove to the outside of the board is 1/2". Now cut your shelves to 35" and when assembled, the unit will be 36" overall. You have also skipped over trying to figure out what 1/3 of 23/32" is and how long to cut your shelves.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Entertainment center

Thanks man
Great tip!

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote