DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

end cap of countertop fell off

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  joed 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, We replaced the countertop in our lower level apartment this summer. First time we ever did a counter top and for the most part, it looks great.

Our tenants just said that the end cap has peeled off. The end cap was the kind that is attached by ironing. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly but I never thought it was attached well.

Now that it's off, how do I reattach it? I'm thinking of removing the old glue and then reattaching with some other glue. I know contact cement is used for attaching formica but I'm leery because, as I understand it, I would have to be sure to get it in the right position the first time because I wouldn't get a second.

Should I use contact cement or some other glue? If I do use CC, is there a way to make sure I don't mess up the placement?

#3 · (Edited)
Contact cement would be your best bet. You are correct though, you will only get one shot at it.

Enlist a helper to assist you in holding the end cap where it needs to be. Use wax paper between the two sides with contact cement you are going to join. This will keep the cemented sides from sticking to each other until you are ready. Cut it into 3" strips. Pull the wax paper out as you go and you should be able to line up the piece nicely.

Make sure to burnish the two sides together.

#5 ·
I have never had much luck with those factory applied heat activated adhesives. It seems they just don't put it on thick enough to do any good or you cannot get them hot enough to melt it all. I always contact cement the pieces on and am done with it.

I guess it is worth trying to heat the adhesive again if it stuck once.

#6 ·
100% silicone and duct tape to hold it in position for a day or so. That way you can slide it around and get it where you want it, then tape it. Any silicone that purges just leave it alone until tomorrow then you can shave the purge with a razor blade. First remove any old adhesive from either surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.