Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,643
Rewards Points: 2,424
Default

Emergency heat/gas generator safety


Very sad story at Xmas but people need to be careful if they have no power or use a generator. At least have a new CO detector in the home if you have to. Fumes must have seeped in around old leaky basement windows or a dryer vent or whatever.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/two-de...s-in-newcastle

__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".

Last edited by yuri; 12-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 906
Rewards Points: 634
Default

Emergency heat/gas generator safety


Windows? They ran it in the garage. I'm curious if the door was even open. I know garages are supposed to be sealed, but I'm sure many are not. If you run a car in my garage with the door closed I'd fully expect to die within a few hours and my house is only a few years old.

mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,643
Rewards Points: 2,424
Default

Emergency heat/gas generator safety


The point is to be careful and have a CO detector. Technically some houses are in a negative pressure and sucking air in all the time from the chimney/chimney effect etc so a garage full of exhaust can get sucked in without people knowing about it. With all the severe weather we have been having /ice storms and power outages people are desperate for power and not thinking safety. You get people using BBQs for heat and all kinds of unsafe methods. They probably had the door closed or cracked open not much so the neighbors would not hear the generator and want to steal it.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".

Last edited by yuri; 12-24-2013 at 01:28 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,315
Rewards Points: 2,292
Default

Emergency heat/gas generator safety


Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Very sad story at Xmas but people need to be careful if they have no power or use a generator. At least have a new CO detector in the home if you have to. Fumes must have seeped in around old leaky basement windows or a dryer vent or whatever.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/two-de...s-in-newcastle
Happens during any power outage or storm. Too many people ignore the warnings about using CO creating devices like generators, or charcoal grills indoors, or in a closed garage.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,315
Rewards Points: 2,292
Default

Emergency heat/gas generator safety


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Windows? They ran it in the garage. I'm curious if the door was even open. I know garages are supposed to be sealed, but I'm sure many are not. If you run a car in my garage with the door closed I'd fully expect to die within a few hours and my house is only a few years old.
Some think just having the door up about 1/2 a foot is enough to exhaust fumes.

Even running a NG or LPG Kitchen Stove is dangerous. I still kept the battery operated CO/Smoke for in my Hallway, placed at the T Intersection, where you go into the dining room, and between the bedrooms.

Then in the two bedrooms and in the Basement, I placed a Nest Protect in those locations. The Access Point they are connected to, is on a UPS, that will give up to two hours or longer of battery backup, so that even if we are gone, and the units go off, I get an alert of a problem at the house.

Most people with CO or CO/Smoke detectors, either remove the batteries, or do not replace them even at once every twelve months at the max.

No matter how much the media, we ourselves attempt to beat this into peoples heads, that they need to have at least one CO or CO/Smoke combo unit per floor, also in the bedrooms, they feel that they are above everything, and will never get injured or die from CO.

An ex-coworker's mom got CO poisoning some years back. She ended up with living on O2 and breathing treatments, along with other assorted medications, due to the severe damage it caused not only to her lungs, but also to her heart and brain.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to go about making a window bigger in my basement so that I can put a bedroom urgurl031 Remodeling 12 10-07-2012 05:26 PM
Oil Furnace Emergency shut off switch location? LarryNH914 HVAC 19 06-28-2012 02:47 PM
Commercial Building with 277 Volt Exit & Emergency Lights Perry401 Electrical 24 01-20-2012 08:33 AM
Upgraded to new Hunter model 44860 thermostat and now no emergency heat hlmaint HVAC 0 01-08-2010 01:17 PM
Aux and Emergency CPH settings indvid HVAC 2 03-02-2009 03:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.