DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Emergency heat/gas generator safety (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/emergency-heat-gas-generator-safety-192570/)

yuri 12-24-2013 11:11 AM

Emergency heat/gas generator safety
 
Very sad story at Xmas but people need to be careful if they have no power or use a generator. At least have a new CO detector in the home if you have to. Fumes must have seeped in around old leaky basement windows or a dryer vent or whatever.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/two-de...s-in-newcastle

mikegp 12-24-2013 01:21 PM

Windows? They ran it in the garage. I'm curious if the door was even open. I know garages are supposed to be sealed, but I'm sure many are not. If you run a car in my garage with the door closed I'd fully expect to die within a few hours and my house is only a few years old.

yuri 12-24-2013 01:25 PM

The point is to be careful and have a CO detector. Technically some houses are in a negative pressure and sucking air in all the time from the chimney/chimney effect etc so a garage full of exhaust can get sucked in without people knowing about it. With all the severe weather we have been having /ice storms and power outages people are desperate for power and not thinking safety. You get people using BBQs for heat and all kinds of unsafe methods. They probably had the door closed or cracked open not much so the neighbors would not hear the generator and want to steal it.

gregzoll 12-24-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuri (Post 1282302)
Very sad story at Xmas but people need to be careful if they have no power or use a generator. At least have a new CO detector in the home if you have to. Fumes must have seeped in around old leaky basement windows or a dryer vent or whatever.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/two-de...s-in-newcastle

Happens during any power outage or storm. Too many people ignore the warnings about using CO creating devices like generators, or charcoal grills indoors, or in a closed garage.

gregzoll 12-24-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikegp (Post 1282338)
Windows? They ran it in the garage. I'm curious if the door was even open. I know garages are supposed to be sealed, but I'm sure many are not. If you run a car in my garage with the door closed I'd fully expect to die within a few hours and my house is only a few years old.

Some think just having the door up about 1/2 a foot is enough to exhaust fumes.

Even running a NG or LPG Kitchen Stove is dangerous. I still kept the battery operated CO/Smoke for in my Hallway, placed at the T Intersection, where you go into the dining room, and between the bedrooms.

Then in the two bedrooms and in the Basement, I placed a Nest Protect in those locations. The Access Point they are connected to, is on a UPS, that will give up to two hours or longer of battery backup, so that even if we are gone, and the units go off, I get an alert of a problem at the house.

Most people with CO or CO/Smoke detectors, either remove the batteries, or do not replace them even at once every twelve months at the max.

No matter how much the media, we ourselves attempt to beat this into peoples heads, that they need to have at least one CO or CO/Smoke combo unit per floor, also in the bedrooms, they feel that they are above everything, and will never get injured or die from CO.

An ex-coworker's mom got CO poisoning some years back. She ended up with living on O2 and breathing treatments, along with other assorted medications, due to the severe damage it caused not only to her lungs, but also to her heart and brain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved