Electrolysis To Remove Rust - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electrolysis to remove rust

Can anyone tell me if they have used electrolysis to remove rust or paint from metal objects? I am wondering if I can do it is a metal bucket or old metal pot instead of something plastic. As long as my item to clean does not touch the bucket I think that I should be fine. I can suspend it from a piece of wood bridging the bucket. This way I would have direct line of site from every point. Is this really over kill?

Advertisement

Last edited by GLS0628; 05-09-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
GLS0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co...st_Removal.htm

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wish I could find the post. A person had a great way of removing rust from hinges, old tools, etc. by tossing them in an old re-purposed cement mixer. I forget what he was using for an abrasive but it was common and maybe just gravel or sand. Of course you need an old mixer and room for it or something else similar. I used to tumble rocks as a kid to polish them and my dad made a tumbler out of a coffee can and a motor.

Concept is nothing new and lots of cast parts are tumbled to remove burs and things.

Seems to me with electrolysis unless you got crazy with the amount of electricity you would have to be awfully patient and I am not! It would be a fairly safe method I should think.

I know some folks were playing with non-organic material eating enzymes that could be dumped on old munitions dumpsites too fragile to dig up. One found a set of aerobic/anarobic bugs that created the perfect enzymes for eating rust. Enzymes are nice because you can fine tune them. Restorers are starting to use them more and more for paintings and furniture. They will eat only a layer of varnish for instance and never show interest in the paint underneath.

Last edited by user1007; 05-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote