Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #1

Share |

Electrical certificates - please help

Hi there,
new to this site.

I had an electrician completing work on my house and has vanished. He has completed most of the work but the alarm sytem and a few lights still need completeing. I've not managed to get hold of him for about 3-4 months now, and am thinking about getting in another sparky to complete the job. But what would happen with the certificate to say the work the original spark did is safe & sound as i'm guessing other sparky's can't sign up work by other people, is this correct???

jinx1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Get the inspector in to look over the semi-completed work, and then have the new Sparky look over and see what needs corrected, completed, and then call back the Inspector.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #3

If the first electricain was licensed, he may have a performance bond. If so, the bond holder may pay to have the work finished. If the electrician is not licensed or bonded, you are out of luck. Call the electrical board of whatever state you are in, or call the electrical inspector. if you hired an unlicensed person, tough. Next time you need a tradesman, ask for license, insurance and bond.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

my suggest is that get the Inspector in there and make a note how far the job was complted and have a new electrician come out and he will or you have to pull new permit anyway to that electrician's name then that electrician can finish up what it left to meet the code.

but one fair waring if your state do adopt new code { 08 NEC } you or the electrician have to get this up to the code there are some change along the way [ check with your inspector or permit office for the details on this ]

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote