Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Electric to propane?

We live in a house that is almost all electric save for our heat (oil) because there is no natural gas available to us. The neighborhood is very mixed-some houses have all electric appliances with oil heat, some have propane everything. We have a 200A service with a little less than 50A to spare. Eventually we're going to expand the house, so the extra space would come in handy. Currently 110A of the service is dedicated to the following:

-Oven (50A)
-Dryer (30A)
-Water heater (30A)

The oven is probably original to the home (built in the late '60s) so its going to go eventually anyway and we both like to cook so we've been longing for a flame to cook over The dryer is going on 11 years old so how much longer that will last is anyone's guess. The water heater on the other hand isn't even 3 years old. Just curious about other folks' experience converting (or deciding not to). I'm assuming that once you're inside the house running lines for propane is exactly the same as running lines for natural gas? Do I just install the outside connection and then call Suburban/Amerigas/etc...for a tank? Does anyone have experience with underground tanks?

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Electric to propane?

I can truly sympathize with you. I love cooking with gas. I have an all electric home. I had actually thought of installing one or two 100 pound propane tanks just for the kitchen stove. I had this set-up in Florida and loved it. This plan got squashed by the Code office, unless I placed the propane tanks 30 foot from the house, which wasn't really possible due to other buildings and the set up of my property. Another worry I would have is the price of propane. Seems to just keep rising. I think the underground tank is the way to go even though the initial cost is higher. Check with your local Code office about the rules for gas lines and what is required. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.