DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   electric motor blues...... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/electric-motor-blues-125024/)

noquacks 11-29-2011 07:52 PM

electric motor blues......
 
Pulling my hair out- OK, take a basic motor, say, you have to remove the commutator to put in new brushes. Now, popped in the brushes back but the coil springs behind them prevent me from dropping the motor commutator/shaft down in there with springs "compressed". Enter the surgeons pliers.

tried squeezing the 2 springs that are on opposite sides, of course, with surgeons pliers (actually keeping the pliers open so the tips are open wide, thus keeping the brushes/springs farthest apart. With that, I slowly drop in the shaft/commutator but only so far until the angle is so sharp relative to the pliers' tips, that the surgeons pliers slip off, and hence, the springs/brushes also go booooooiiiiiing and pop out preventing the shaft/commutator from dropping down neatly.

Sheesh. Whats the trick, electric motor guys??

Thanks!

Bondo 11-30-2011 07:06 AM

Ayuh,.... Usually there's holes in the brush holders that you slip a wire through to hold the brushes back...
When the shaft is In, ya pull the wires out, 'n the brushes contact the shaft...

noquacks 11-30-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo (Post 781966)
Ayuh,.... Usually there's holes in the brush holders that you slip a wire through to hold the brushes back...
When the shaft is In, ya pull the wires out, 'n the brushes contact the shaft...

No holes as the motor "case"(?) covers the entire outer surface around the coil/commutator innards. That would have been a nice feature for this challenge, but no such luck. Buy thanks for trying, Bondo. Im still searching for the secret.

noquacks 11-30-2011 07:51 AM

tis is a picture of the motor (its from a GM 80's car), for headlight doors....
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...d=P1135867996W

md2lgyk 11-30-2011 08:32 AM

I suspect something as inexpensive as that was not designed to be repaired.

DexterII 11-30-2011 12:42 PM

Clicked on your link, so have an idea of what you have, but can't quite make out the details. Could you tie the brushes back, like with a piece of fishing line, then cut and pull it out once everything is in place?

noquacks 11-30-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexterII (Post 782267)
Clicked on your link, so have an idea of what you have, but can't quite make out the details. Could you tie the brushes back, like with a piece of fishing line, then cut and pull it out once everything is in place?

You know, Dex, thats a good idea! I was thinking of bread wrapper twist ties, but that wouldnt be "nimble" enough. Gonna try it!

noquacks 11-30-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 782022)
I suspect something as inexpensive as that was not designed to be repaired.

Wrong- happens all the time. Just gotta figure how. These are original solid GM motors, Made in the USA- a rare thing these days. lasted so far 24 years. Those for sale on that link I bet are China JUNK.

I dont do stuff only if its easy. But thanks just the same, MD!

DexterII 11-30-2011 03:28 PM

Another thought, which I sort of doubt will work, as the spring is different, but I had one of my older power tools apart just a few weeks ago, and was able to get the springs to catch off-center just enough that they were compressed against a couple of landings, rather than the brushers, so that I was able to slide everything back together and then poke in there and work them back into place. Again, probably not the solution in this case, but maybe it will inspire a thought when you look at it.

jcrack_corn 11-30-2011 04:57 PM

sometimes you can compress and tape them over (tape over the brush/spring holder hole) and then use a thin razor blade (if needed) to lift the tape off once assembled, and let them pop into place.

can you take a pic of the actual inside so we can see?

noquacks 11-30-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrack_corn (Post 782489)
sometimes you can compress and tape them over (tape over the brush/spring holder hole) and then use a thin razor blade (if needed) to lift the tape off once assembled, and let them pop into place.

can you take a pic of the actual inside so we can see?

Thnaks, but Im bad at pictures. Going out in the ccccccold garage now (its 65 degrees F out there today....LOL)

noquacks 11-30-2011 05:27 PM

Im back- FISHING LINE IDEA WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it was a little finicky, especially with cold fingers out in 60-65 deg garage, but worked like a charm!

Trickiest part was how low one could lower the case- low enough to keep the brushes on the commutator "band", yet high enough off the base to allow one to slice the fishing line with a craft knife, and pull it out slowly so as not to break the line. Cut/shards of Fishing line is bad for turtles/pelicans/other sealife, and also bad for motor innards.....LOL

Thanks, people!

DexterII 11-30-2011 06:17 PM

Good for you! Glad it worked. Now, as for cold, my shop is a good 30 degrees or more below that this evening, so quit gloating!

noquacks 11-30-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DexterII (Post 782561)
Good for you! Glad it worked. Now, as for cold, my shop is a good 30 degrees or more below that this evening, so quit gloating!

Aww, gee Dex, didnt mean to rub it in, you know.......Tonight its gonna dip down to maybe 55............brrrrrrrrr...........LOL!!

DexterII 11-30-2011 06:49 PM

Supposed to be something like 24 here, I think. Oh well, I've been all over the country, and always come back home, so it must not be that bad. Actually don't mind it at all, except for the fact that it does make it hard to work on things like you're doing with that motor, but I have a shop within my shop that I can throw some heat in at a reasonable enough cost, and at least avoid frostbite.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.