DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

EIFS, Questions???

5K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  harleysilo 
#1 ·
The front of our home is EIFS.

In the basement, while searching for the sourse of a water leak, I removed insullation and discovered this....

You can see the left side is plywood, I'm thinking a repair in the past, which is sorta visible from outside but they did a good job of blending it in...
What looks wet isn't, it's all dry as a bone, but obviously you are looking at water damage. I believe on the outside of that wall water pools during heavy extended rains and runs in between basement floor and sole plate of exterior wall. A drain box and some grading is needed at that corner of the house.

In this pic you can see a previous DIY'ers raised floor I ripped up as well as more backside of the stucco issues...

So none of this damage is visible from outside, and inspector said Stucco was in good shape... That it had been cut and banded, and wasn't rotten at the bottom. But from what I've been reading the problem with it is that it retains moisture once it gets wet and then rots out your wall studs. Luckily I can see them and they are not wet or rotten. Question is do I leave it? What about when I finish this part of basement, leave it then too? I obivously need to correct the drainage issue, but after that is this o.k. to leave?

Also I discovered many tiny holes thorughout the front of the house, should I fill with caulk, or buy some stucco crap and patch with it?

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I really admire you American have such beatiful scenary home... in Toronto... few people can afford things like that... most of us are being crowded together each house is 5 feet apart...etc.

Anyway... I think you should wait to prove water problem are solved before any renovation on the basement... once prove water problem solved 100%... the rest is easier to handle, either replacing wet pieces or fix them by some treatment such as paint them up...etc. are all become under control and easy to handle... but with the situation like the pictures you show, sometimes it is hard to know whether there is still a water problem... The most reliable way is look at them whenever there is heavy rainfall on everywhere... and feel everywhere for mositure...etc... well this is talking from a DIYer... may be some expect has other things to say...

#4 ·
There are many sealant joints, 1/2" wide, easy. I'll take some pics today. There are only 2 gutter house joints above the stucco areas, they do have kickout pieces of flashing. However it is obvious that when the other "patchwork" was completed, these were installed. Again, I'll post pics this morning....

Kuipong, I'm not planning any basement renovation for a few years, I just want to stop the water, and make sure my house isn't slowly rotting away!

Thanks for the compliments, we looked long and hard for this home. It is rare to find an acre with a home we like here in Atlanta, oh and could afford. There are many things wrong with it, as you see, which is how we could afford it. But I am confident that I can fix them all.

#7 ·
I've actually seen both sites you referred to me. I haven't tried to find someone local to do a scan, not sure if I want to spend what I imagine it would cost right now. My kickouts are metal flashing. Here are some pics of the flashing, it's pretty apparent they have been patched into place...

Here are some examples of the caulking...

#8 ·
Here are some examples of small areas that need to be sealed, but with what exactly???

Here is an area at side of house that also needs to be sealed, WTF do I do here?

Close up of basement where I believe water is pooling and coming in between sole plate and basement floor.

#9 ·
Tops of windows...

So the first picture from inside the basement you were able to see water damage and what appeared to be replacement, using plywood of sorts, of the stucco.

Do you all have any other suggestions, or can you point out any other drastic errors I need to fix?

#11 ·
The bottom of the light fixtures do not need to be caulked just the tops. Or is the white a gasket?

The WTF do I do here pic- Is the grade that close to the bottom of the wall? If so thats wrong it needs to be lower. Seal the vertical joint with good sealant.

As for the kickouts the plastic ones are great but the metal ones serve the same duty as long as the are bent into the shape and not cut.

#12 ·
No, there is no slope on any area where a 2nd buildup layer of stucco was appled for decorative purposes, i.e. window surrounds, the squares stacked vertically on the corners, top of doors etc.

That is caulk all round the light fixtures...

WTF pic, what your are actually looking at is the foundation, it forms and L shape, the top of the L is a wall, the bottom of the L is a "floor" that sticks out below the wall about 6 ". There is a light layer of dirt/dust on it so it appears as ground.

I plan to do some outside work today, I'll take pics off foundation when it is clean.

So what do I use to patch the tiny holes, stucco patch or caulk? Could I use either of the two to build a slope on tops of windows etc?

#13 ·
What do the sills of the windows look like? Flat like the tops? THe best thing for patching the holes is more of the same material. Do you know what brand they used? Part of the problem with the built up trim water can sit on it and work its way in and eith it built out the caulk and bacher rod is close to the front the water getting in at the top could be trapped behind the joint on the sides and bottom.

Building it up at this pointe is not easy.

#17 ·
You know, I've looked at it a thousand times and can't recall if it just dumps out right there or if it's piped in to the one on the far right hand side of the house.

Either way, I'll assume you were going to make a point about getting all the water away from the house. And it's a valide one. The slope in front of the basement window needs to be addressed, a project for this week, and evaluated at the next big rain.

#18 ·
I agree.

Try and get all the water from the downspouts as far away from the house as possible. On a averaged sized house, a one inch of rain will produce about 2,500 gallons of water to be expelled from the roof area.

You may consider installing drain tile in areas that may collect rain water near the house.

Grade soil away from the house to direct any other rain water away from the foundation.

Does the basement have a perimeter drain or sump pump?

#19 ·
There is an unknown 4" black platic pipe exiting the right side of the house down by the foundation. I must assume that is a foundation drain. It has the tiny slits in it. Whether it actually works or not is questionable.

I will be installing a box or catch basin at that location most likely. I'm waiting for the next big rain, hopefully I will be home and be able to witness the issue to determine the appropriate corrective action, although all suggestions seem reasonalbe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.