Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Egress Security Issues

So here's the deal: here in Virginia, the state (according to the Landlord/Tenant Act) leaves it up to the city or county to decide if apartment buildings are required to have deadbolts. I live and go to school in Lynchburg, where contractors/landlords are NOT required to provide deadbolts, and my apartment has a locking knob only.

The other night I locked my keys in my apartment. My roommate was out of town and I couldn't get in touch with my apartment manager (found out later she was out of town as well). The only option this left me was to try and break in with a credit card, which I WAS able to do, since the door opens inward. Unfortunately, it took about 15 seconds, and I had never even done it before. This, in my mind, is a security issue. I called my apartment manager about it, and they will allow us to put deadbolts on, but will not pay for them. I asked if I could take the deadbolt with me when I left since I would have paid for it, and she said I would be responsible for the hole left in the door.

Personally, I think this is bullying on the part of the apartment complex, and constitutes a violation of a moral (if not lawful) obligation that landlords have to provide a safe place for tenants to live. I'm put at serious risk of loss just because the developer wanted to save a few bucks when he was building this place.

Anyway, the question is this: being a poor college student, is there any way I could make my apartment more secure without having to put a deadbolt on? Also, if there is a way for me to **** the apartment complex over without losing my security deposit, that would be immensely satisfying as well.

Last edited by Loudpipe; 09-23-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Loudpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #2

Egress Security Issues

You're worried about leaving a $15 deadbolt on the door when you leave? I find it very surprising they're even allowing you to put the deadbolt on. If you think that is bullying, you're not going to make it very far in life. Stop whining and spend the money.

Last edited by jerryh3; 09-23-2009 at 06:05 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Egress Security Issues

If you are worried about the safety of your Apt belongings then buy the deadbolt
By Law they are not required to
By Law if you drill a hole in the door & then install a dead bolt you are legally responsible for the "damage" to the door if you then remove the dead bolt
By Law they could charge you for a new door if you don't leave the dead bolt

You figure out which is less $$

Now if you locked your keys in the Apt with a dead bolt you might be out $60 to have a locksmith come out
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #4

Egress Security Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudpipe View Post
Also, if there is a way for me to **** the apartment complex over without losing my security deposit, that would be immensely satisfying as well.
Sure glad you are not a tenant of mine...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Egress Security Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
You're worried about leaving a $15 deadbolt on the door when you leave? I find it very surprising they're even allowing you to put the deadbolt on. If you think that is bullying, you're not going to make it very far in life. Stop whining and spend the money.
X2
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

Egress Security Issues

Install a surface mount deadbolt. Then you will only have screw holes to touch up.
Here are a couple of types. There are others, including keyless.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #7

Egress Security Issues

I think he wants a deadbolt that he can also open/lock from outside
So I don't think the surface mount would work?
Unless they make a wireless activated one - that would be interesting
Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Egress Security Issues

Your last sentence pretty much sums up where your priorities lie. Did you ever think about why college students pay high rental fees for apartments? Reread you last sentence for the answer. Why did you move into an apartment that is sub-standard? Why do you think that the apartment management is somehow now responsible to cure all of your problems while you look to **** them over? The door lock wasn't an issue before, but now it is. Adjust the strike plate so that the deadlatch feature on the entry lock works. The small plunger on the latchbolt should NOT enter the hole in the plate when the door is closed. Properly adjusted, you won't get in with a credit card, when you lock yourself out. And use the credit card to buy a deadbolt instead of as an entry tool.................. And just how does a "poor" college student come to have a crdit card and how does one pay his credit card bill? And this doesn't look like an egress security issue. Looks like an access security issue.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 09-24-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #9

Egress Security Issues

That was dumb of me. I forgot you still need a hole for the key to get to the outside. duh.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #10

Egress Security Issues

I was kidding about screwing the apartment over. That was put there as a joke. Also, I didn't actually use a credit card to get in. That terminology has become a generalization for any plastic card, even though wealth is not a requisite for having a credit card.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, though. I do feel like it's their responsibility more than mine, but maybe it hasn't merited my whining. Lesson learned, I'll get a deadbolt.
Loudpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #11

Egress Security Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Now if you locked your keys in the Apt with a dead bolt you might be out $60 to have a locksmith come out
Curious how one locks themselves out of the house (apt) w/a deadbolt, since you'd need the keys to lock the deadbolt.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #12

Egress Security Issues

Could be 2 doors ...went out the balcony like batman

or 2 people living in the house
My wife goes out all the time & forgets her house keys
She just assumes I will be home
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #13

Egress Security Issues

Some cheaper type deadbolts have a spring loaded latch like a door latch. Probably could slip it with a credit card also.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM   #14

Egress Security Issues

You're very lucky the apartment complex will let you put a deadbolt on. When my grandson was 2 yrs. old, he could open the door to their apartment and get out into the hallway then outside to the parking lot.

Their apartment complex would not let them put a lock on the inside of the door up out of his reach. They were told they would lose their deposit of $650 if they did. I put a darn lock on the door, worried less and started sleeping better at night. Bye bye deposit!

I'm glad you're getting the deadbolt. It's not just your 'stuff' you have to worry about being stolen while you're gone. You need to think about what would happen if someone breaks in while you are sleeping.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #15

Egress Security Issues

If your worried about theft look into getting renters insurance as well.

If you have car insurance, you can usually get renters insurance for "free" because the insurance company will give you a discount for having another policy with them. I remember All-State gave me a $100 discount on my auto policy when I got renters insurance that cost me $115.

If you don't have a car, the $100-$200 for renters insurance is worth it.

matt_ is offline   Reply With Quote