Dust Form Dryer Coming Out A/C Vent? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Dust form dryer coming out A/C Vent?

Anyone had this before?

Advertisement

markneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Never heard of that before. There is no physical contact betweeen the dryer vent and the ac system that could allow lint(dust) from the dryer into the ac ducts. If you have dryer dust circulating in the house, you need to check the dryer venting for leaks. Sounds like you need to upgrade to a better quality ac filter also. Even if there is a dryer vent problem, the ac filter should trap the airborne particles before they get circulated though the vent system. The red 3M allergin filters are about $9 at big boxes, and are a pretty good filter IMO, just don't think the purples are worth double the price.

What you see may not be "dryer dust" anyway, it could be coming from the ac itself. I have seen older systems that have duct board plenums and/or supply trunk lines discharge a lot of "dust", actually fine particles as the fiberglass material breaks down.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It should be fairly easy to check the dryer vent and see where it leads. If it vents into the A/C ducting your opinion might be valid. If it goes out to the exterior, look for another source of the dust. I've seen some stupid homeowner/handyman work, so who knows.
When was the last time the filters were checked? Have you looked into the ducts to see if they are clean?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It should be fairly easy to check the dryer vent and see where it leads. If it vents into the A/C ducting your opinion might be valid.
Ron
Of course in my mind,, such a thing could not exist in the real world . Until I saw some of the actual photos taken by home inspectors and posted on the "home inspections nightmares" web site. I can't recall the exact site location, but it is well worth the effort to locate it. There is stuff here that will keep you lying awake for nights.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote