Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Remodeling bathroom just put up durock over tub and preparing to tile. Home depot salesman sad I could use joint compound on durock is this correct?

Aaebuql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Chris
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 12
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Um... No.

You want to use thinset with mesh tape for cement board, then some type of waterproofing membrane (maybe Redgard, I think that would be the brand that box stores carry) over the entire area.

If you put Durock farther than the tile would cover, then if it was not alot of area then maybe joint compound would work to cover it so it would match the existing wall surface.

Do not use joint compound under the tile.

PowerWash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaebuql View Post
Remodeling bathroom just put up durock over tub and preparing to tile. Home depot salesman sad I could use joint compound on durock is this correct?
That might be correct, depending on what he means by "joint compound."

The durock joints needed to be taped with a fiberglass mesh tape and coated with thin set. Get the bags of thinset and mix it yourself. Don't use the pails of pre-mixed.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWash View Post
Um... No.

You want to use thinset with mesh tape for cement board, then some type of waterproofing membrane (maybe Redgard, I think that would be the brand that box stores carry) over the entire area.

If you put Durock farther than the tile would cover, then if it was not alot of area then maybe joint compound would work to cover it so it would match the existing wall surface.

Do not use joint compound under the tile.
Good point. If that's the case, a skim-coat is almost a must.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,978
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaebuql View Post
Remodeling bathroom just put up durock over tub and preparing to tile. Home depot salesman sad I could use joint compound on durock is this correct?
Sorry that you had to deal with stupid at HD, but that is what happens, when most of them have never done the work before. Most will just show up to collect a check and punch out at the end of the day. Only ones that I know of, that know their stuff, are those that work in the Paint department, and Lawn & Garden section, other than that, most are not worth anything to ask questions of.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sorry that you had to deal with stupid at HD, but that is what happens, when most of them have never done the work before. Most will just show up to collect a check and punch out at the end of the day. Only ones that I know of, that know their stuff, are those that work in the Paint department, and Lawn & Garden section, other than that, most are not worth anything to ask questions of.
I've actually been surprised by how many knowledgeable professionals I've run across at Home Depot - at least at the one I live near. This is an extremely tough economy, and I've run across professional plumbers, tilers and painters who are either laid off or in a slow season. They're definitely the exception rather than the rule, but there are a few out there.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,978
Default

Durock and joint compoud


I have to drive 25 miles away to get to our local HD. Only place that I have dealt with, that the workers actually know the department they are in, is the Menard's stores here, the Lowe's is far from having a whole lot of knowledge, and if you are lucky to find someone that knows what they are talking about, they are only there during the day or weekends, at night, it is usually just kids there.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,119
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I have to drive 25 miles away to get to our local HD. Only place that I have dealt with, that the workers actually know the department they are in, is the Menard's stores here, the Lowe's is far from having a whole lot of knowledge, and if you are lucky to find someone that knows what they are talking about, they are only there during the day or weekends, at night, it is usually just kids there.
You have no idea how badly I wish it was the Menards near my house instead of HD!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 13,978
Default

Durock and joint compoud


Only thing is, they do not have a wide selection of smart boxes, other than the single & double gang. I could spend all day in our newer Menard's. The one thing that I noticed last time I was in there, they had the 3/8" gypsum advert as 1/2", and the 1/2" as 5/8, and not much in durock, etc. like they had a year ago, when we were redoing our bath.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,189
Default

Durock and joint compoud


http://www.usg.com/durock-cement-board.html

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Assistance with tile layout / transition between cement board and drywall JeffreyMCooper Tiling, ceramics, marble 4 08-20-2011 11:47 AM
Durock (CBU) to Drywall transition HELP Honeydo_MD Drywall & Plaster 5 03-28-2010 09:50 AM
Durock (CBU) to Drywall Transition HELP Honeydo_MD Drywall & Plaster 1 09-16-2009 11:24 AM
Tub Surround, Painting, Durock or Greenboard, and Spacking Questions? golfer2b Plumbing 7 04-17-2008 08:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.