Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

Drywall paper peeled

Hello.
I have a question I'm hoping to get some help with, and even more, hoping you will tell me what I want to hear!
I live in a 40+ year old home . It appears that the original contractors who built the house applied wall paper directly to the drywall, instead of priming/painting first. Now when we try getting off the wall paper (which is nearly impossible), it takes with it the top layer of drywall paper, leaving a brown papery surface.
My question is, can I paint/mud over that surface? Or do I need to cut out and replace those sections? If I mud over it (creating texture), will it adhere long-term?

Thanks in advance!

dinainco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
registered

Drywall paper peeled

Nope. Once the paper is destroyed on drywall. Its done. I will be corrected if i'm wrong.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Drywall paper peeled

Apply a coat of Gardz, maybe 2 and skim coat as normal
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-15-2013), ToolSeeker (10-15-2013), Windows on Wash (10-16-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Drywall paper peeled

That is what Gardz does best.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

Drywall paper peeled

I agree with #2. Due to government slowdown, my link is temp. kaput; http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2003/crame03a.pdf
Basically, it said the paper is what holds the gypsum board sheet on the wall/ceiling while the core releases moisture during a fire, extending the time for occupant escape. By 20 minutes or so.... So, either always stay awake or run fast.... if you just paint over it.
Gary
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Drywall paper peeled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
I agree with #2. Due to government slowdown, my link is temp. kaput; http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2003/crame03a.pdf
Basically, it said the paper is what holds the gypsum board sheet on the wall/ceiling while the core releases moisture during a fire, extending the time for occupant escape. By 20 minutes or so.... So, either always stay awake or run fast.... if you just paint over it.
Gary
Gary I agree if you did nothing but paint it. But if you seal it (Gardz) then skim it with drywall compound you are better than with just the paper.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
registered

Drywall paper peeled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Gary I agree if you did nothing but paint it. But if you seal it (Gardz) then skim it with drywall compound you are better than with just the paper.

I wasn't 100 percent sure this would work. I was going to say guardz and a skim coat.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #8

Drywall paper peeled

Thanks.
I can't find that stuff anywhere!
No one's ever heard of it. And one guy at a hardware store I called said I don't need it, just mud over the brown papery stuff. Ugh.
dinainco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Drywall paper peeled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinainco View Post
Thanks.
I can't find that stuff anywhere!
No one's ever heard of it. And one guy at a hardware store I called said I don't need it, just mud over the brown papery stuff. Ugh.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

call a real paint store, PPG carries it, maybe Sherwin Williams and or Ben Moore

If you cannot find it, this stuff will work and SW carries it for sure
Attached Images

Last edited by chrisn; 10-17-2013 at 02:30 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

Drywall paper peeled

I used Gardz on my ceiling just this morning, it definitely exists and it is amazing!!! After you use it you can sand the surface. HD and Lowes don't carry it. I found it at Parker Paints. Don't stop until you find it, it saves SOoOo much time
Rebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

Drywall paper peeled

I had a hard time finding it too SW doesn't carry it. I found it at a small local paint store.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #12

Drywall paper peeled

I had to order it online, but fast shipping. I bought it for the very same reason. 30 yo wallpaper on drywall.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

Wink

Drywall paper peeled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinainco View Post
Hello.
I have a question I'm hoping to get some help with, and even more, hoping you will tell me what I want to hear!
I live in a 40+ year old home . It appears that the original contractors who built the house applied wall paper directly to the drywall, instead of priming/painting first. Now when we try getting off the wall paper (which is nearly impossible), it takes with it the top layer of drywall paper, leaving a brown papery surface.
My question is, can I paint/mud over that surface? Or do I need to cut out and replace those sections? If I mud over it (creating texture), will it adhere long-term?

Thanks in advance!
The best thing to do is skim coat the areas with drywall mud. No need to paint first after it has dried sand and prime and you should be ready to go.

billyboys is offline   Reply With Quote