Drywall - Nails Or Screws? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drywall - Nails or Screws?

I've never used nails while hanging drywall because I'm afraid they'll pop out. Anyone used them and know how they work? Do pros ever use nails? It seems so much quicker.

I'm thinking if I use ring shanks they'll probably be fine. But maybe I should still use screws in the ceiling.

Advertisement

digthisbigcrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by digthisbigcrux View Post
I've never used nails while hanging drywall because I'm afraid they'll pop out. Anyone used them and know how they work? Do pros ever use nails? It seems so much quicker.

I'm thinking if I use ring shanks they'll probably be fine. But maybe I should still use screws in the ceiling.
Rule to use:

Nails can be used only around exterior edges of the sheets. Anything in the 'field'/centers of the sheet and along the edges where seams meet should be screwed.

Additionally, nails can be used (I recommend this) for attaching metal corner bead.

This is how we've been doing it since 1984, learned from a guy who had been doing it since 1970.....with no call backs or problems - at all.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Rule to use:

Nails can be used only around exterior edges of the sheets. Anything in the 'field'/centers of the sheet and along the edges where seams meet should be screwed.

Additionally, nails can be used (I recommend this) for attaching metal corner bead.

This is how we've been doing it since 1984, learned from a guy who had been doing it since 1970.....with no call backs or problems - at all.
Good to know. Does that go for ceilings too?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by digthisbigcrux View Post
Good to know. Does that go for ceilings too?
Ceilings = ALL SCREWS
Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Ceilings = ALL SCREWS
Very cool - I think I'll just stick with screws everywhere.

Thanks for the great advice!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

The reason for nails in the perimeter of the wall sheets is convenience. Start the top row of nails before lifting the sheet, lift and nail home. That will hold it while you in-fill with screws. If you are working by yourself it very difficult to hold a sheet in place, load a screw and drive it home. Possible, but nailing the top edge, as I described, is fast and easy and has no negative consequences. Also we glue the sheets as well 'round here.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
The reason for nails in the perimeter of the wall sheets is convenience. Start the top row of nails before lifting the sheet, lift and nail home. That will hold it while you in-fill with screws. If you are working by yourself it very difficult to hold a sheet in place, load a screw and drive it home. Possible, but nailing the top edge, as I described, is fast and easy and has no negative consequences. Also we glue the sheets as well 'round here.
That's how we used to hang sheetrock back in the 80's during the 'condo boom'.... Once the ceilings ('lids') were up.... We'd split up and work alone; we'd hold the 5/8" 12-foot sheet up with our off hand forearm...while smacking the nails in above our head with our other arm.... 30 - 40 sheets a day (ugh), Rock music blaring, pastel colored T-shirts...
Ah...to be young, with an indestructable back ..... (and yet, so stupid) again.....

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-21-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote