DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drywall a Brick Fireplace

13K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ferris13 
#1 ·
I have a huge oversized floor to ceiling brick fireplace in my living room. It is just flat brick floor to ceiling with a raised hearth below the fireplace. I want to install drywall over the brick, tile about 12 inches around the opening and then build/install a surround mantel around the tile.

My plan was to use 1X furring strips on the portion of the area that will be covered with drywall because the brick is not perfectly flat. I then was going to apply the tile directly to the brick using a couple of layers of thinset to smooth the brick before applying the tile.

Here's my question finally. After I install the furring strips and drywall, that portion of the wall will extend about 1-1/4" beyond the original brick face (assuming 1/2" drywall). The portion that is tiled will only be about 1/2" beyond the original brick face. That's about 3/4" difference between the 2 surfaces. That does not provide a smooth surface to attach the fireplace surround to and I am afraid that it will look bad if there are any gaps between the surround and the tile.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem, and if so, what is a relatively easy way to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.