Drylocking Basement And Removing Mold On Concrete - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drylocking basement and removing mold on concrete

So my wife and I want to sell our home but before we put in on the market our basement needs some work. We have had some moisture problems mainly because the windows need to be replaced.

How do I go about removing the stains and or black mold? Is it black mold?

I have had about 12 people coming and give me estimates and all 12 people have given me different recommendations. Some recommended sealing before dry locking, otherwise in 4 days the basement would look the same.

Is it as simple as scrubbing and painting because their estimates have ranged from 400-$1300.

Looking for any help!

Thank you!

Advertisement

airtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

If all of those 12 people said they could apply Dry loc over paint, then you need to keep looking for somebody that knows what they are doing

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-22-2013), Gymschu (05-26-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

As a guy who spent all of last October grinding several layers of old paint and drylock off of my basement's block walls, I can tell you that drylock doesn't work over anything other than well prepared bare block. The outer 2 layers of drylock came off the easiest. Fell off, almost. Took a long time and a lot of effort.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 644

Paneling never fells. You should scrub, grind and treat those walls, then at least one coat of oil based primer, Zinsser makes one called cover stain. Then paint. Replacing those windows with some glass block is a big selling point. Make sure to clean your gutters and make sure your downspouts are flowing.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
Paneling never fells. You should scrub, grind and treat those walls, then at least one coat of oil based primer, Zinsser makes one called cover stain. Then paint. Replacing those windows with some glass block is a big selling point. Make sure to clean your gutters and make sure your downspouts are flowing.
What do you recommend for scrubbing the walls?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

You have a mixture of efflorescence, dirt and mold. Actually the mold is pretty minor and given that it is living on accumulated dirt on the masonry, I would attack it with a detergent and a stiff scrub brush. Solve the moisture issue first, then scrub it down. That should be all that you need in this case. Mold won't live on masonry unless accumulated organic dirt is present. I would not worry too much about a fungicide in this instance. The efflorescence will be more stubborn to remove. You may need to scrape it and use a wire brush to remove it. I've even used a cup brush on an angle grinder in some cases. Wear a respirator.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Bleach is a well-known killer of mold and bacteria. Use a scrub brush or sponge dip it in the bleach solution. Scrub the mold with the solution until it is gone. Dry that area completely.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenamark1 View Post
Bleach is a well-known killer of mold and bacteria. Use a scrub brush or sponge dip it in the bleach solution. Scrub the mold with the solution until it is gone. Dry that area completely.

FYI
http://www.spore-tech.com/viewcatego...?idcategory=78

in this instance it MIGHT work
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

While sodium hypochlorite (bleach) will kill mold, it is not a particularly good cleaner. What the OP really needs to do first is scrub with a detergent. Add a little bleach to the detergent mix is you wish, just do not exceed 10% and work in good ventilation. And if you choose to use any bleach, be absolutely certain that the detergent you use does not include ammonia. When the accumulated surface organic material (dust and debris) is removed, there will be nothing to support mold growth. Mold doesn't grow on clean masonry (no organic food and the PH is way off). Suggest you read the info in this link.

How to control Mold Part 1
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 790

Me? I'd use a pool brush and a solution of Dawn dish soap and bleach. Rinse with a garden hose. Once dry two coats or acrylic latex high gloss paint.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 644

They make this special stuff to treat effervesce. Any good paint store will have it. Otherwise just follow what mat6 is telling you. Make sure to use an oil based primer or it will not cover.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,146

The basement is a sign of poor construction and exterior/subsurface water control. - That is why there is mold and efflorescence that will eventually return.

If you are fast, make it look good and run as fast as you can. New solutions to existing problems are usually spotted very easily if the buyer has a good home pre-purchase inspection.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #13

We drilled some weeping holes into the concrete and it was full of water.

What would happen if you painted over everything without scrubbing?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 626

I would do this one strip that paint! second use something better then drylock I would use something like laticrete hydroban water does not get through that. and then you can paint over it tile over it. yes it may be hard work but it will be done right.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

[QUOTE=Nailbags;1188169]I would do this one strip that paint! second use something better then drylock I would use something like laticrete hydroban water does not get through that. and then you can paint over it tile over it. yes it may be hard work but it will be done right.[/QUOTE]

even after this???

We drilled some weeping holes into the concrete and it was full of water.

What would happen if you painted over everything

Advertisement

Tags
basement , drylock , mold , painting