Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 508

Dryer venting consideration

My washer and dryer are inside of an exterior "closet" recessed into my car port. Washer on the left and dryer on the right.

Due to the space behind the dryer is tight, if I want to be able to close this closet door completely, the back face of the dryer would end up being 3.5" from the back wall. Which means I can't fit a standard 4" duct + elbow there.

I am thinking of using one of these "tight fit" contraptions, basically a rectangular channel to go behind the dryer then connect to the standard circular duct.

#1. Do these tight fit vent work? Will you end up with much more lint trapped in these rectangular channels and corners?

#2. The way mine will work is I need to attach to the back of the dryer, then this channel will go behind the washer to it's left, all the way across the back of the washer before attaching to the circular duct. What I am worried about is if someone is not aware of this attachment in the back of the dryer, and proceed to pull the dryer forward - for whatever reason - they will end up bending this vent because part of it is behind the washer. I can't think of a way around this.

#3. When I connect the circular duct to it, should I go horizontally shortest path to the outside wall to vent, or should I angle it up and go higher so I can vent it at a higher spot? Right now if I go horizontal the vent would be 18" off the ground.

miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,108

Best way, make the closet bigger.
They work fine, just a real pain to connect and slide the dryer back in place without kinking the hose.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,066

Why can't you just go straight out of the dryer and through the wall?? That's what I did - my vent path is less than 12 inches long. Makes cleaning it a breeze.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,024

Those work fine. The way I'm picturing what you described, probably not a solution, but, in case it might help, some dryers have a knockout for side discharge. Either way, I would be satisfied with 18" off the ground. (Even though that's about how much snow we have laying around right now!)
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote