Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

dryer duct cleaning necessary?

I have a laundry area and I am guessing the plumbing go straight up from floor to second level roof.

Is it a good idea to have someone come in and clean it out before I move in?

I do see there is a bit of lint in the flex hose already.

DIYGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Special User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYGST View Post
I have a laundry area and I am guessing the plumbing go straight up from floor to second level roof.

Is it a good idea to have someone come in and clean it out before I move in?
I would clean it myself or have it cleaned, yes. In my last house, it had a single story dryer vent through the roof, and it collected tons of lint -- especially right at the top cap. Two stories is probably going to be worse.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

I would certainly do it. We had a dryer for about 10 years and the wife ended up calling the local fire department as she was smelling smoke from the dryer. When I got home they had pulled it out and disassembled the back panel and could see tons of built up lint in both the dryer and the vent leaving it!

Had a dryer guy come out and he completly disassembed the think and cleaned both the dryer and vent for about $100! Well worth it to me.

BTW, we are crazy about cleaning the dryer vent lint trap as it's more efficent w/o all that crap in there, but there is always more when you can't get to.
pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #4

I clean my own. Take the outer cap off and put the dryer on cold air blow. Then I take my manual sewer snake with some heavy duty plastic tie wraps on the end leaving the tails on. Spin the snake down the pipe and the air blows all the lint you knock loose out in your face.

Alternate method is to use a leaf blower. Be sure to blow from the inside or your wife might not be too happy.
ToolSeeker (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Definitely clean the lint trap and the lint ducting on a regular basis.

It is not a bad idea to check all your roof vents at least annually to make sure critters have not found a way to build nests in them and that they are not otherwise blocked.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Mine is a story up. From the outside, I just use a shop vac with extensions. My laundry room is on an outside wall, though.
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

My dryer is on an outside wall. The duct goes straight through the wall. Total length is about 16 inches. I've never felt the need to clean it.

I don't understand why anybody would vent a dryer up through the roof. Seems like a recipe for problems.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 12-01-2012 at 08:38 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #8

Perhaps trying to keep the 3' rule of dryer termination from house openings... window, door, HVAC supply, ERV, etc.; http://www.codecheck.com/cc/ccimages...6th_Sample.pdf

Gary
P.S. DIYGST, I hope the flex duct is just in the room (transition ducting), not buried in framing; http://www.hcpdc.com/pdf/Dryer%20Ven...quirements.pdf
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Perhaps trying to keep the 3' rule of dryer termination from house openings... window, door, HVAC supply, ERV, etc.; http://www.codecheck.com/cc/ccimages...6th_Sample.pdf

Gary
Hmmm. Never heard of this one. Apparently, neither has our inspector.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post

Gary
P.S. DIYGST, I hope the flex duct is just in the room (transition ducting), not buried in framing; http://www.hcpdc.com/pdf/Dryer%20Ven...quirements.pdf
Gary....great links (where do you find them?)

With that said...I can't fin the 3' rule...

If that is in fact a rule....I'm screwed......my dryer vent is about 20" from the door....as are most of the houses in my neighborhood....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote