Driveway Apron Replaced By Water Company.... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Driveway apron replaced by Water company....

New user here. I'll try to make this short and sweet.

So the Water Company had to replace a water main break street side, and in doing so they had their backhoe on our driveway apron and messed it up. So they agreed to replace it. I told them it needed to be done exactly how it was. Well they messed it up. Bad angles and bad lines, chipped off a piece about 5 inch in diameter (tried to convince me "it happens, nature of the job"), just over all an unacceptable job. So I had a good friend of mine who owns a concrete company write up a proposal to have it replaced. I told them I want my guy to replace it. Well they came out and tried to deny fault, blah blah, and after an hour of arguing they said they will replace it but will go through a list of "competitive bids" and let me know a dollar amount. Then they will give me that dollar amount and I have to pay the over amount to have my guy do it, or their guys will do it again. I told them I don't want their guys to do it and I'm not paying a dime.

So my question is where do I stand with this? Do I need a lawyer? Should I contact my insurance company? Just trying to figure out if I have any position to say hey, I want my guy, or another professional company, to do it and make them pay full price.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

POP3Y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP3Y3
...So I had a good friend of mine who owns a concrete company write up a proposal to have it replaced. I told them I want my guy to replace it...
Save your money on the lawyer, they're not going to just cut you a check. The replacement cost has to be reasonable, so you'll need to get estimates from others, or let the water company do it again.

Advertisement

rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Save your money on the lawyer, they're not going to just cut you a check. The replacement cost has to be reasonable, so you'll need to get estimates from others, or let the water company do it again.
I plan on getting other estimates. It really doesn't matter if my guy does it or not, I just want a concrete pro to do it not some pipe layer that gets put on concrete duty for the day.
POP3Y3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by POP3Y3 View Post
I plan on getting other estimates. It really doesn't matter if my guy does it or not, I just want a concrete pro to do it not some pipe layer that gets put on concrete duty for the day.
I hear you. Best thing to do is get a bunch of estimates from known concrete flatwork contractors and submit the highest 3.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

I'm a bit surprised they are doing anything more. I was always under the impression that that part of the property belonged to the city/county and that they would repair damage to aprons, but only to a certain extent (i.e. not having it stamped or painted anything beyond a standard apron). Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

The apron is not yours, it is in the easement, and if they want to replace it and not do it correctly, that is their choice. You may be better, in letting them do their job, or next time, the next job may take longer, and your yard along the easements may look like a demo derby took place for six months or longer.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote