Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Drilling to place curtain pole

Help! I've been trying to put curtain poles up, but upon drilling have hit what I presume to be a metal lintel. Has anyone got an suggestions of how I can continue to hang the curtain pole?
Thanks, Karen

Karen Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Hey Karen

This is very possible. I think I would first see if maybe if is only a nail or crew head. This would only require you to offset your brackets slightly. If is indeed a lintel I would not expect it to be very close to the surface a short anchor could be used. Another possibility is to use a metal drill bit and tap the hole (I think this would be a unusual last resort). About how old is the home?

Old 03-30-2005, 06:08 AM   #3

My home is about 200 years old, but the curtain pole problem is in a brand new extension. We have tried to put up 6 poles, all with the same issue, so it cant all be screwheads!
From your response, it looks like we'll have to drill into the metal, although the drill I have is obviously not doing the trick.
What is a 'short anchor' that you mentioned?
Thanks
Karen
Old 03-30-2005, 06:25 AM   #4

Hi Karen

Your right it is not screw heads or you better buy a lotto ticket. First of how deep is you drill going before the drill stops? do you know what the wall surface is (ie plaster, wallboard/drywall) if it has enough thickness I have seen dry wall anchors that were 1/2 long. This type I saw was a plastic style that expanded when a screw was threaded into it. fastening its self to the surrounding wallboard. If you don't have at least this much depth I haven't seen any type of anchor shorter. Drill bits to drill into steel can be bought at your local hardware store I am sure the can offer some advice (price verses quality) If you have many holes to drill you may want a cobalt or titanium bit.. If you do end up drilling into the metal you will want to use a variable speed drill and keep the bit speed down or you will burn it and be useless.

good luck

maybe you could just put them up with magnets, ha ha
sorry, I couldn't resist I don't think magnets would work
Old 03-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #5

The drill goes in about half an inch, the wall surface being plaster over dryboard, so the expanding screws sound like just the job. I've not heard of them before, but my work collegue has just told me she has used them effectively herself.
Thanks for the tip regarding the speed of the drill into metal, just incase I have to resort to this solution (fingers crossed that I dont!).

Thanks
Karen
Old 03-30-2005, 07:31 AM   #6

Karen

Hopefully you will be able to find them this short. As I said I have seen them but they are not common. The anchors do not work if they are not flush with the surface before screwing into them. (I have been able to cheat a bit in the past by cutting of some off the tip in the anchor. I would say try it first in the lest obvious location you are attempting in case you end up making a bit of a mess. write back if you have problems with it.