Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2004, 07:33 AM   #1

Share |

Drilling into oak door

I need to drill through my front door which is made of solid Oak to fit a knocker. Can anyone please tell me if I need a special drill bit as the only one I have hardly made a dent and smoked a lot. I never knew it was such a hard wood.

Regards
Freezy
Freezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #2

Drilling into oak door

Freezy

Yes, oak is a very hard wood. Most wood bits don't have too much trouble drilling though. I don't know what size hole you need, larger diameter bit must be turned slower to prevent overheating. I would use a quality metal/wood type bit better then wood only. Watch the speed of the drill keep it somewhat down. (If you don't have a variable speed drill you may have to start with a pilot hole or get a variable speed drill).

By the way once the drill bit smokes a lot it is probably junk and wouldn't hold an edge even if resharpened.
MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #3

Drilling into oak door

Thank you Mg for your advice, I am going out tomorrow to get a new set of drills. I don't have a variable speed drill so will start with a small pilot hole as you recommended.

Thanks again!
Freezy
Freezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 PM   #4

Talking

Drilling into oak door

This Thread should be in the Doors and Windows.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #5

Drilling into oak door

Use a small bit to go all the way through.... then go partway from both sides to prevent chipout on the other side! If it's still smoking, do it in steps... when you say knocker, I guess you mean it has a viewer too... that viewer hole you could do in four passes.
knowltondata is offline   Reply With Quote