Drilling Holes For Exterior Security Camera Ac Plug - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

drilling holes for exterior Security Camera ac plug

I obviously don't want to plug it into an exterior outlet. I need to drill a hole through until the interior. What do I put inside the hole, I don't think I want to just drill a hole and feed the plug wire through it do I?
Attached Thumbnails
drilling holes for exterior Security Camera ac plug-b003x26lyq_awning_setup_lg.jpg  

Advertisement

SpaceCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Three words. Power Over Ethernet, if this is a IP camera setup.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

Yes, I need a setup to watch home exterior over internet/iphone. Recommendations for cameras?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoast View Post
Yes, I need a setup to watch home exterior over internet/iphone. Recommendations for cameras?
I use a Foscam FI8905w on my garage. Never have had any issues with it. They make a POE version. For the switch, get something like the TP-Link TF-SF108P. It has four 15.4w POE ports. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704080

Also make sure you get an Ethernet Lightening Protector, like this. http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector...era-protectors. L-Com also sells POE injectors, that have Lightening protection. http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector...-poe-injectors
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

So just going with ethernet cable connection or wireless with wifi is not good?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCoast View Post
So just going with ethernet cable connection or wireless with wifi is not good?
You need to go with what I stated. Unless you place a large enough sized box on the side of the house, with a outlet box inside it, you need to just go with POE (Power Over Ethernet), or with a Coax connected camera, that uses a balun to allow power to be connected to the camera.

Just follow the info I gave you, and it will work. Trust me on this. I do this stuff for a living, and have been around this stuff for over 26+ years.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #7

Will do thanks.

Advertisement