Drilling In Ceramic Floor Tile - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drilling in ceramic floor tile

I"ve been installing several door stops in a house that we're building - the floor is ceramic? tile- very hard! the drill bits that we're using are the spear point carbide - they work well for two- three holes- I've got a can of cold water to dip them into every 1/2 minute or so- but even still, they wear out, or usually the carbide tip falls off - so in looking for something else more suitable, I've found diamond drill bits (on the net) has anyone used these? are they an improvement? I'd hate to spend 20 bucks on a bit to have it wear out in a few holes.

thanks!

Mac!

Advertisement

mrmac204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

The heating and cooling cycles are killing the bits. Maintain cool water on them at all times, not every 1/2 minute or so.
However, a diamond bit is well worth the investment but you have to keep it cool too. I just use a small spray bottle of water and keep a flow on the work surface. This also helps flush away the material you have already cut. A couple of rags on hand will expediate cleanup.

Advertisement

Gencon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

ditto

build a dam of rags around the area you are drilling.

Personally, I maintain a dribble of water on the bit at all times.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Two points come to mind for your difficulties. Ceramic tile is generally not that hard, could it be porcelain? Secondly, are you using a hammer drill or a rotary hammer. Hammer drillls, especially inexpensive ones, are really bad for melting drill bits in hard materials, as they have very little hammering action, even though they make a heck of a lot of noise, so the bit just spins and generates heat until it disintegrates. I would suggest switching to a Bosch or Hilti peercussion bit over the little spear point types.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 04-14-2008 at 10:19 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

hammer drills break tile very easily. If one is not experienced drilling tile with one, I will guarantee at least one broken tile.

I would stick with the little arrow bits and water and a slow drill.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote